surprise - price

Captain Price was a tough man. Despite his position of power and the commands he could bark that would get done within the minute, there really wasn't much he could do that wasn't military-regulated.

There weren't many comforts that the team could keep with them. Everyone liked something, and when your 'thing' ran out, that was it. You'd be out until you managed to replenish once you got off whatever base you've been on.

He never really gave it that much thought though. He was always too busy with everything. Paperwork, missions, double checking everything to make sure it was correct. He felt like he never stopped working. It was just how things were for him. And he honestly didn't mind.

The only time he did mind was in the little moments. Usually, he didn't pay it much attention, but when he sat now in the small lounge of Los Vaqueros base, unable to control his laughter as Soap wouldn't shut up with his hilarious stories, he wished every moment would be like this.

Despite technically being 'on duty' the team had shared a couple of drinks and were feeling an electric buzz. The comfort that was shared between all of them was evident in the contagious laughter.

He had only had one drink, but the warmth that spread through his chest only seemed to grow with every glance toward her. He couldn't help himself. He felt most relaxed when she was around, and unconsciously he would look to her for approval after every piece of information he would divulge. He was the Captain, what he said goes, but he always was seeking her silent smile and nod. It was like she was telling him he was doing the right thing.

He tried so hard. He really did. To be fair, he didn't know it would be a problem until it was. He hadn't given relationships much thought before. Always pushed the idea to the back of his mind because it just wouldn't work out.

He didn't even know he felt this way toward her until Gaz made a joke. Sure, Price had gotten along well with her. They always seemed to be connected at the hip, reading each other's minds, knowing exactly what to do to support him.

Countless times Gaz and Soap had been messing around. Price would turn, brows furrowed, mouth opening to snap at them, but she would beat him to it.

"Knock it off you two!" She would hiss at them. Sure, deep down she wanted to partake in the fun, but she knew when she needed to be serious, and she knew when to keep others in the line.

"Yes, mom!" Gaz would taunt. There was a snort that came from Soap and even Ghost's eyes crinkled with a smile.

"Mom?" She questioned.

"Yeah." Gaz chuckled. "If the Captian is like our dad, you're like our mom." He explained.

Price's eyes widened. It had been a running joke that Gaz and Soap would call him dad. It was innocent. No harm came from it. But why was his heart pounding in his chest at the connection? Why was his face so hot?

"Eyes forward Sergeant." Price grumbled. He didn't have time to unpack this.

He allowed himself to think about it for a long time later that night. He thought about her in a way that was pretty much forbidden for him to think. He wouldn't allow himself to think about her like that any further. He couldn't get distracted.

But there was so much about her that was distracting. Her eyes, her smile, her hair. He thought she was tough, but she also had a sense of humor. She had a sharp tongue, and wouldn't take shit from anyone, but she was kind and had a warm soul.

He had done well not letting his thoughts wander when she was around. He was proud of himself. He was strong, and he wouldn't be the reason something went south on a mission because he had a schoolboy crush. He wouldn't let his thoughts go any further than the one brief moment of thinking of her as a girlfriend.