below the surface - soap

I love fnaf songs. Hope this holds you over until I'm able to write more. I typically write while I'm on trains or on planes as I travel but it's still pretty difficult. I also HATE writing on my phone but it's the best I can do. Sorry for the slow pace.

—- —- —-

I should have known. I really should have. A part of me thinks that maybe I did know, but didn't want to believe it. There was always something about Graves that seemed shady, just a little off. I figured it was be a he was a Shadow. Apart of a group of ruthless soldiers. The 141 was just as ruthless and well trained, but we had morals. We were able to think for ourselves. The Shadows were just that. Shadows. Always following their owners. They followed orders with no questions.

I never would have thought he was capable of this. Though I kept him at arm's length, I thought we were somewhat friends.

The first time we met him was in Las Almas. We were given orders and there wasn't any time for introductions except for simple call signs. Same with Los Vaqueros. It wasn't until after the quick mission did we properly meet.

I took a quick liking to Alejandro, Rudy, and the rest of Los Vaqueros, but the Shadows were closed off. There was something in Graves' eyes that made me uneasy. He was always moving. Circling us like a shark ready to attack. But everyone had their quirks, right? Especially in this line of work.

Despite Gaz and Soap quickly warming up to everyone, I could tell Ghost also had some hesitation. His eyes were trained on Graves and followed his every move.

Time made our guard fall. Pretty much every waking moment spent with someone will eventually lead to some bit of trust. Plus, he had our back on missions. Even saved some of our asses every once in a while.

He was more observant than I initially thought. He quickly caught onto my crush on Soap. I didn't like that he knew. I didn't think he would tell anyone, but there was something about people knowing your weaknesses that I didn't like. Especially someone like Graves who wouldn't hesitate to do something that would send any normal person spiraling.

Then everything went to shit in Las Almas. He and the Shadows had turned. And the orders were given by Shepherd. The pit in my stomach grew and I shared a glance with Ghost. This wasn't going to end well.

Shepherd was the one that made us. He helped Price put us, the 141, together. But he also made the Shadows. We were supposed to save people, not destroy everything.

The first shot sounded and everything turned into chaos. I gunned down a couple Shadows here and there but there were so many. I saw Soap get shot in the shoulder and my attention was pulled from saving myself to wanting to help him.

Ghost was shooting the Shadows around himself and Soap. I heard him shout my name before someone grabbed me from behind.

They had me in a tight hold as I thrashed around trying to free myself.

"Let go! Get off me!" I screamed as I continued to struggle. "Johnny!" I screamed as I was being dragged away.

I caught a glimpse of worry in his eyes. He made a move to try and help me but there was no point.

A stray bullet had found its way into my thigh and the pain started to make me dizzy.

There were too many Shadows and I managed to see Ghost and Soap slip away into the woods. At least they got away. They'd find me.

—- —- —-

I didn't know how long it had been. Days I assumed. Maybe a week or two? I couldn't tell. I knew we were in some underground base. My leg seemed to get worse as time passed. It hurt to move, but for the most part I was kept in a cell or in the chair.