happy new year - price

Glitter sparkled on my skin as the bathroom light illuminated the room. I examined my makeup trying to figure out if I looked stupid or if it was just me not being used to seeing myself like this. The 141 didn't get many options to dress in clothes that weren't military-regulated. CIV clothes felt unnatural like they fit my body incorrectly, but the occasion called for non-camo material.

My eyes flickered down to the watch on my wrist. "Shit," I muttered as I turned off the light and rushed out of the room. I quickly threw on my shoes and made my way to where the party was held.

I could hear loud music and lots of chatter from everyone who had been on Los Vaqueros' base. The corners of my mouth itched and turned up slightly into a smile.

I thought back to when I had been told about the party. Soap had rushed up to me like an eager dog, bouncing around me as he excitedly told me about the New Year's Eve get-together that Los Vaqueros held every year.

"And we are invited!" His smile was wide and his eyes were bright.

I chuckled. "Are you sure we are invited? You aren't just inviting yourself?" I shot him a look.

His face hardened and he grabbed my hand and dragged me all the way to Alejandro whose eyes widened and smile fell in confusion.

"Tell her." Soap demanded. Alejandro laughed before telling me about the party and how the 141, in fact, were invited. I thanked him for the invite before going back to what I was doing. Soap made me promise I would go before he rushed off saying he had to tell Price.

I smiled. It would be good for us, especially Soap and Gaz to have some time off. We needed a break from the work we were doing.

I took a deep breath before walking into the party. I felt a bit nervous trying to find people I was close to. I could see a few familiar faces, but no one I had really interacted with regularly. I pushed through the crowd before finding myself engulfed in someone's arms.

"Alejandro!" A slightly worried voice called out.

"¡lo hiciste!" The person hugging me yelled over the loud music. I recognized him to be Alejandro as he pulled back. Rodolfo finally caught up and held his arm, steadying the both of them. I could tell Alejandro was already very drunk and Rudy wasn't too far off. The pair were happy and giggly as they interacted with anyone and everyone.

Alejandro handed me a shot and we took one together before he handed me another drink. I chatted with them before Rudy pointed to the general area where Soap and Gaz were.

I moved on as they saw someone else that had arrived. I walked over to Soap and Gaz, chatting with them a bit before realizing they each had an arm around a girl's waist. It suddenly dawned on me that everyone seemed to have someone they were coupled up with. I shot a quick glance around the room to confirm this suspicion.

I suddenly felt out of place. I seemed to be the only person without a partner. Without a new years kiss. How the hell did everyone get someone so fast? How does one even get a new years kiss?

My stomach felt like it was doing flips. Even if I could find a new years kiss, it wouldn't be who I wanted it to be.

I had developed a crush on the leader of the 141. Captain John Price was just perfect in my eyes. His beard and gruff voice would send my heart pounding. He was protective, commanding, and smart. The way he looked at me made me feel like nothing would ever go wrong. I knew I wasn't allowed to harbor these feelings, so I did my best to ignore them.

I yelled to Soap and Gaz that I was probably going to head out. They gave their protests, but I still turned to leave, waving them off. I wasn't able to take one step though as I collided with the devil himself. I looked up to see Captain Price looking down at me.