not dead - ghost

i didn't know how to end this and tbh i dont really care. 

--- --- --- 

Soap felt sick to his stomach as he ran across the base grounds. Mixed emotions. So many mixed emotions he had no idea how to actually feel besides being sick. The closing of his throat, tears pricking the corners of his eyes, the flipping of his stomach, and the pounding in his heart were more intense than anything he had felt before.

He had defused bombs that made it down to the last second. He had been shot multiple times. He had a kill count that no one should ever come close to. He had brought on death and cheated it more times than he could count.

But not once had he ever felt like this before.

He felt sad. Relief. Pain. Excitement. Fear. Joy. But mainly guilt.

He stopped in front of Ghost's door and just stood there, panting. He had sprinted to his friend to tell him the news, but now that he was here he no longer wanted to be the one to tell him. He had volunteered to deliver the news, but he was regretting that decision. His hand shook as he knocked on the door.

"Ghost? Ya in there?" He called out nervously.

The door opened, Ghost stared at him. Soap tried to read what little facial expressions he could decipher under the mask, but there was nothing. They had known each other for years and not once had Soap been able to read Ghost due to the mask. He guessed that was the whole point anyway.

"What is it, Johnny?" Ghost asked.

His voice was another story. There was no scary skull mask for vocal tells. Ghost was confused at the Scotsman's demeanor.

"It's-" Soap paused. "It's-" He was trying so hard to tell him.

"Spit it out, Johnny."

"It's her." Soap choked out.

Ghost's eyes changed and Soap could visibly see his eyebrows move and furrow under the cloth mask. It was the first time he actually saw a facial expression through the mask.

"Johnny, what do you-"

"She's alive. They- A team got her and she's here. She's been alive the whole time." Soap said. "Ghost- she's back."

Ghost froze. Soap couldn't tell what he was thinking but he stepped back, unsure of how his friend would react to the news.

Ghost took a step and then another. Hesitant but still willing to move.

"She's on the tarmac. They're taking her to the infirmary." Soap said. Ghost took another step, his fist closing and opening over and over. "But- Ghost- She's not- She's-" Soap's stuttering wasn't heard or acknowledged as Ghost started to sprint towards where she was.

Soap followed behind his friend.

—- —- —-

Ghost didn't let up one bit. His legs carried him automatically to his destination. He immediately made his way towards where the gurney with a body was.

It was her. She was here. She's alive.

"Ghost. Stop." Price stopped him. The captain's hand was firmly pressed against his chest to keep him where he was.

"What are you doing? She's-"

"She isn't her."

"She's right there. I can see her."

"Simon." Price's voice was low and apologetic. "She's alive but that's not our girl. She won't remember you. She doesn't remember any of us. She's been through too much right now. It's going to take months, if not years, of therapy to even get her to recognize us according to medics."