Naruto - Gaara

Aftermath

The battle was gruesome. The bodies of your comrades were laying everywhere, there was nothing you could do, and you started feeling powerless.

As you held your best friend's body in your arms, you couldn't hide the tears, "Please, F/N, wake up! Don't die on me! I need you!" He was like your older brother, considering your family died long ago in the Leaf Village. You tried to protect his body when a Zetsu came in ready to attack you, you were ready to embrace death, was there a point to keep fighting? You lost everything.

Suddenly, a sand figure showed up in front of you and protected you from the attack as a shield, it wasn't a person, it was just sand. "Y/N, let's go." You heard that voice, Gaara was trying to carry you away. "Y/N, let go of that body!" You couldn't you were in shock, everything was too much for you, you weren't ready for this. Even a year younger than Gaara, how did you end up in a war like this? Before you could say anything, Gaara ripped the lifeless body of your arms and carried you away from the battle, "I need a few minutes! Keep fighting!"

He was the leader of that division, and he was abandoning it to protect you. You didn't know how long it was until he finally stopped near a few trees, that were already destroyed but nobody was there anymore. You couldn't say anything, and he just sat beside you and hugged you tight, "I know you are scared, and this wasn't what you expected, but I need you to be strong, I don't want you to die."

"Why do you care?" Was the only thing that came out of your lips. You could feel him hugging you tighter.

"Because I'm already in love with you. I thought it was obvious." You looked at him, and although it seemed as if he was embarrassed, there was no blush in his face. You knew you had something with him; I mean, he had been stopping by your tent to spend the night since all of this started, and even before the war, since the first time he went back to the Leaf Village after his chunnin exam, you had your eyes on each other. It was something weird, but you knew it. "I don't think this is the best moment to confess any feelings but," He let his vessel near you, "Don't die on me. We are making it out of this war and I'm taking you with me, Y/N."

You weren't able to say anything, Gaara left you there and as soon as he was out, the sand formed a barrier to protect you. He left his most valuable possession, his shield, to take care of you, to save your life. "I know you are the spirit of his mother," You finally said after a while, "I know he said that you are supposed to protect me, but if I go back to the war, you will come with me, right? I don't want him to die because of me. I think I am also in love with him."

As you finished talking, the sand stopped the shield and went back to the vessel, ready to leave with you when you wanted to. You were not a coward. Yes, you were scared, and sad, but you weren't going to let anyone else die while you were away, secured; specially Gaara.

As you went back to the war, you were quick enough to protect Gaara from an attack with his own sand. He was going to yell at you but stopped himself when he saw how his sand was letting you control it, it was as if his mother was accepting you.

You fought beside him for the rest of the war and cried as you had to help pick every fallen ninja. You were called by the leaders of your village and had to split from his side, it was time to go back home.

With all the chaos, it was difficult to say goodbye, you had to leave with your Village, and he had to lead his own, he was the Kazekage after all. There was no time to see each other again, but surely, you would find that opportunity in the future.

As you went back to Konoha, Gaara did the same. You went back to your job to rebuilt Konoha but every day you missed everyone you lost, your best friend, and you missed him. You haven't heard from Gaara, but after the days and weeks you spent together, being without him was too painful.

One day, Shikamaru found you helping near the market, "Y/N, The Hokage is looking for you. Could you go to his office?" It was weird that Kakashi Sensei would look for you, so it made you think it was something important.

"Hokage-Sama, were you looking for me?" You said as you opened the door, only to find him standing by his desk, with Gaara, just beside him, "Gaara? I mean, Lord Kazekage."

He gave you a small smile and Kakashi started laughing, "Don't hide your relationship from me, as Gaara has already told me everything. There is no need for formalities here." He sat on his desk, with Gaara still by his side, "Do you have any idea why we called you?"

You shook your head, unable to take your eyes off him, he came back. Was it for you? "I'm sorry it took me this long to come back, my Village needed a lot of fixing too."

You nodded and switched your attention to Kakashi, "Wow, I never expected that one of my ninjas would be in love with another Kage, this is quite weird." You blushed hard, "Y/N, the Kazekage has come to request your hand in marriage." What? "He believes that although you are still young, you feel for him the same things he feels for you, and he doesn't want you away from him."

"I'm sorry it has to be the Hokage the one telling you this, but as the Kazekage I have to play by the rules." He approached you, "Please, Y/N. I don't want to be away from you. Come with me to Suna, I will take care of you. You can be a ninja there too. Marry me."

Kakashi was listening to everything, so he stood from his desk, "I'm going to leave you alone, ok? Talk a bit, you might need it."

The moment Kakashi closed his door, you immediately hugged Gaara and hid your face in his clothes, "God, I missed you so much." You said when you felt his arms embracing you too.

"Is this a yes to my proposal? Will you come with me? Will you marry me?" He asked you, caressing your cheeks. You let go off him and went to open the door to ask for Kakashi.

He came back expecting an answer, "Lord Hokage, as amazing as it has been serving you and I will forever be faithful to Konoha; my heart belongs to Suna. And I would like to leave with Gaara."

Kakashi knew how much you've lost, so he was genuinely happy to see you in love, "Then, it's settled. I'll help you with anything needed so you can follow your heart, Y/N."

You couldn't imagine what was happening, you were holding hands with Gaara around the Village, and Temari and Kankuro were also there waiting to congratulate you, it was amazing. All your friends gathered around to hear the news, and of course wish you the best, some even cried a bit for seeing you go, but they were all happy for you.

A few months later, every single one of your friends was in Suna, joining you for your wedding, the moment you had been waiting for, when Gaara and you would finally be together forever.