𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟗

♪ That's when I put on my makeup and drown in self-hatred
Forget what I'm saying ♪

Maya Martinez POV

I went to the bathroom and as I was coming I see Carlos' mom outside, I went to see if something was happening because she looked a bit sad. She sees me and smiles.

"Is everything okay? Did something upset you?" I ask worried that I might have said some stuff she took wrong. I do that sometimes.

"No! It's not that. Nothing made me upset. I'm happy about the baby, Carlos will be a great dad" She says smiling but I knew something wasn't right.

"Well, if you ever need to talk I'm close by" I say understanding why she wouldn't want to talk to me, she barely knows me, it's understandable.

"I- I'm just thinking about when he is born. I'm not judging, I just wanted him to have a family unit. I know you were never a couple and I fear that growing up in two separate homes since being born is going to be harder on both of you and the baby as time goes by. I just want my grandchild to be happy" She says and I know now that I haven't even thought about it.

"Oh. I mean Carlos told me I could go live with him but we never talked about it, but we will work it out. I mean I have roommates, I could raise a baby there but I don't think I will. I will need help in the beginning and I believe Carlos would like to be there 24/7 since he will be born on his winter break or whatever they call it" I say and I think I was trying to reassure her, and myself too.

"That is a great idea, the baby will need both parents by his side and he will be able to bond with both of you. I'm more relaxed now, I wasn't going to say anything. I'm not the type of mother to mind in her son's business, I was just worried. I know he wouldn't pressure you to see him every day but I also know he would want to see him every day so that will be good" She says excitedly and I smile, she is the cutest. She makes me remember my own mother.

"Carlos will be there as much as he wants to, believe me. I won't get in the way" I say and she gives me a hug.

"You will take good care of him and the baby, you are a good person Maya. I knew I liked you for some reason" She says happily. We head inside and I see Carlos looking around, when he sees me he smiles and comes in our direction.

"Where were you?" He asks confusedly.

"I went to the bathroom and stopped on the way to talk to your mom, she is such a nice person" I say and he lets out a laugh.

"She is the sweetest. I got worried that the food might have made you sick. I was almost asking Ana to go in the bathroom to know if you were okay. Is everything okay with my mom?" He asks curiously and I just nod.

"She is fine, we were talking about the baby. She seems genuinely happy to be a grandmother next year" I say and he smiles.

"They are all happy, they have been waiting for this day. They thought it would take way longer as soon as I broke things off but I guess this went for the best. I couldn't be happier too" He says shrugging and making me smile wider.

"Is there anything sweet to eat? I need sugar right now" I say and he quickly but softly grabs my wrist taking me to the kitchen.

"Chose anything you want. I will ask mom about dessert, she must have made something" He says so quickly that I barely understood him. Why do Spanish people talk so fast? I am Spanish and my brain just froze.

"I just want candy or a piece of chocolate, it's fine. I don't need a whole cake" I say laughing and he almost immediately relaxes.

"It's the first time I see you craving something, I just wanted you to have it the quickest I could give it to you" He says nervously running his hand through his hair.

"It's not really a craving. Sometimes I have cravings in the morning for pancakes, and the other day I smelled Mariana's perfume that I usually hate but it smelled pretty good. Small things have been changing but I feel good otherwise" I say calmly while searching for a sweet and I wanted. I found it pretty quickly.

"I can get you pancakes when you crave them in the morning, just text me and I'll bring them to you" He says seeming really interested and I laugh, is he for real?

"I won't do that, don't be ridiculous" I say leaving the kitchen while he followed me.

"You could, I wouldn't mind. You want pancakes, you get pancakes. What's the name of the perfume?" He asks and I look back surprised.

"Why? You are not gonna buy it, Carlos. Don't try to spoil me, I'm not spoiled" I say and he shrugs.

"I can spoil you, you can definitely be spoilt. I'm here for that too. I will ask Mariana anyways, you should just tell me now" He says nonchalantly, I was going to argue back but his dad came closer.

"Reyes made chocolate cake, you will love it. She makes it so good and fluffy, she was excited for you to try it" His dad says and I see Carlos' mom already cutting a slice for me.

I forgot what having a family was like. I could get used to this if I'm being honest.