Chapter 4

Nitro

It was shortly after three in the morning when I woke to the sound of my phone ringing. I had just fallen asleep after days of not being unable to. Rage from the war, and the shit I've been through, makes sleep impossible sometimes.

I cursed that it better be important and was shocked to see that it was Lawman. It's always me calling him in the middle of the night, not the other way around.

Lawman has been the club's lawyer since before I was born and being that I am the club's Sergeant-at-Arms, we work together, a lot. However, tonight, it is him calling me for a favor. That was a first.

I couldn't say no. He's helped me out on more than one occasion. He's also my Pop's best friend, so if there is anything I can do to help him out, I'm going to do it. Even if it means interrupting my first night's sleep in days to drive an hour down to the city to help him.

Lawman was vague on the details. Only telling me to bring my truck, my crew on their bikes and for me to be discreet – which meant no cut or jacket. He also only wanted me showing up at the address he had given me and to leave the guys a few blocks away.

An hour later, I instruct my crew of six men – Spike, Tank, Gunner, Butch, Snake and Texas – to wait in the diner four blocks away from a boojie ass apartment building.

As I pull up to the building, I notice the police activity and wonder what the fuck Lawman has gotten me into. I hate cops.

I park the truck around back on the street, per his instructions and call him.

"Hey man, I'm here. Parked around back." I say into the phone looking next to me at the two-story parking garage. Fuck, this place is too much.

"Good, thanks man. There's a back door, the security guard is waiting for you. I'll let him know you're here." And with that, Lawman hangs up.

Getting out of the truck, I walk to the back door of the building where a short Latino man is dressed in a security guard uniform waving at me.

"You Nitro?" he asks me with a scared look on his face. It's the same expression I always get, lucky for this guy, my tattoos are covered.

"That's me." I say as he opens the door and motions me to come in.

"Go on up, third floor, the apartment is straight across from the elevator." The guard points to the elevator and returns back to the small desk looking out at the street with all the police activity in front of him. That's a lot of fucking cops.

I step in and ride the elevator impatiently to the third floor. I fucking hate elevators.

The doors finally open and I see Lawman standing in the hallway waiting for me. He looks tired and stressed the fuck out. He's dressed in a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt without his club cut or jacket.

"Thanks for being discreet." Lawman nods towards my shirt and I nod in return.

"So, what's going on?" I ask shaking his hand.

"Let's talk inside." I follow him into the apartment and am instantly breathless from the most beautiful woman I've ever seen sitting on a white leather couch in the middle of a large living room.

She has the most beautiful wavy black hair that flows around her shoulders like a lion's mane. She's wearing a black crop top, jeans and she's barefoot. She has a pillow on her lap and she's holding it so tight that if it were an animal, it would probably be strangled to death by now.

I swallow hard as her big hazel eyes stare up into mine and I can see she's just as surprised as I am.

I have no idea who this woman is or why I'm here, but I hope if this is my mission, I can keep it together. She is seriously the most beautiful woman I've ever laid eyes on and she's not even trying. There's no hint of makeup on her face and I can tell she's been crying.