The Mountain

"How did you know where the mountain was?" Diaval asked Maleficent. They arrived at the mountain not too long ago. "I've heard about this mountain when I was young. That it was the highest mountain and that it kept a monster on the top guarding some flowers. I heard that it was a few hours away from the Moors to the east. Diaval why did you follow me?" Maleficent said. "I don't want you to get hurt," he said, "I don't know what I would do without you." He finished. Maleficent smiled and kissed him on the cheek. "We should start walking." She said. "Right." Diaval said taking her hand in his, pulling her close. "But promise me that you'll be careful here." He said. Maleficent caressed his right cheek and kissed him softly. She pulled away after a moment and caressed a hair away from his face. "You worry too much." She said smiling. "That's because I love you more than I love my beautiful self." Diaval said. "I don't deserve you." Maleficent said looking into his eyes. "No you don't, you deserve much more." Diaval's said. Maleficent chuckled. "You're too much." She said. She started to walk pulling Diaval along with her. They started to follow a trail with signs saying 'Turn Back' and 'Beware'. "What's the name of this mountain?" Diaval asked. "Mount Aaronas." Maleficent answered. "It means mountain of strength." She finished. "That sounds..um..interesting." Diaval said. Maleficent chuckled and kept walking with Diaval. Back at the castle the doctor was trying everything in his power to keep Dakota alive. She was very pale, she fell asleep a couple of minutes later after Maleficent and Diaval left and hasn't woken up since. Arietta was laying beside her, eyes wide open watching her sister's breathing. Aurora left to get a bowl of water for Dakota. "Is she going to be okay?" Arietta asked the doctor. The doctor looked up at her smiling. "Have faith child, she'll make it. She's very strong." He said. Arietta sighed and cuddled closer to Dakota. Aurora walked in, bowl in hand with a towel. She placed it on a counter near the bed. "How is she?" She asked. "She's stable for now, she's a strong girl though, most of the people I've treated for poison don't last as long as she has." The doctor said. "Strong indeed. I'm sorry I didn't catch your name doctor-" Aurora trailed off waiting for a response. "Haylan, it means healer." The doctor said. "Haylan, it suites you." Aurora said smiling. Back at Mount Aaronas, Maleficent and Diaval were walking through thick fog trying not to trip over anything. "I can't see a thing." Diaval said. Maleficent chuckled, "I'll clear it out." She said. She used her magic and cleared the fog. They could see that they were walking through a small canyon, they occasionally had to swat bugs away. "God! Where did these bugs come from, it seems the more you kill the more appear." Diaval said. "Yes, the little pests are getting on my nerve." Agreed Maleficent. They've been walking for at least 30 minutes an still haven't made it to the top of the mountain. "This is taking forever." Diaval complained. Maleficent sighed looking a bit annoyed at her husbands complaints. "You know if your just going to complain then why don't you go back." She said. Diaval stopped walking, surprised that she asked that question. Maleficent stopped as well and turned around to look at him. "What?" She asked. "Why would I go back, I can't just leave my wife alone in a dangerous mountain where anything could happen. You think I'll leave you here alone and not care if anything happens to you..." He kept arguing and talking nonsense. "Diaval!" Maleficent yelled. He stopped talking and looked at her, surprised that she yelled at him. "I know you care for my well being but your acting like a drama king." She said smiling. "Wha-, my beautiful self a drama king, that hurts love." Diaval said putting his hand on his chest like if someone actually hurt him. Maleficent chuckled, took a step forward and gave him a kiss on the cheek. Diaval's face lit up with happiness at her kiss. Maleficent turned but before she could walk off Diaval pulled her back to him, wings touching his chest. Maleficent leaned her head back to look at him. He smiled down at her, leaning down for a deep kiss, his arms tightening around her waist. Maleficent pulled away and smiled up at him. "We really can't be alone." She said happily. "I don't see you complaining." Diaval chuckled. "Mmm, yes I wish we could stay like this forever, but we have to keep moving." Maleficent said. "Right, of course." Diaval said. "Um, may I mention that it's starting to get cloudy." Diaval finished. Maleficent looked up seeing grayish clouds forming. "That's strange, it was just clear a few seconds ago." She said. "Let's keep moving." She finished. Diaval let go of her and grabbed her hand. Maleficent smiled and started to walk when she heard something flying straight towards them. She stopped and looked up to see a small bug in the middle of her right wing. "What is it?" Asked Diaval. "I don't know, I've never seen it before." Maleficent answered curiously. "Ouch!" She hissed, swatting the bug off her wing with magic. "What happened?" Diaval asked worriedly. "It bit me." Maleficent answered angrily, looking at the dead bug on the floor. "Um Mal." Said Diaval. "What?" She asked. She looked up at him and noticed he was looking up. Then she heard wings batting in the distance. "Really?" She said to herself. She looked up at the sky and saw a horde of bugs flying straight towards them. "Uh, we should probably hide." Diaval suggested. "Right behind you." Maleficent agreed. Diaval grabbed her hand and started running, trying to find a place to hide. "There!" Maleficent said, pointing at a cave near a tree hanging on a ledge. They hid in it sitting down in a corner, quietly watching the entrance. Maleficent felt something soft rubbing her right wing. She looked to her right to see Diaval checking the bite. She chuckled, clearly seeing that he was worried. He looked at her with a sigh of relief. She smiled. "So, is it ok doctor, or do I need to rest for awhile?" Diaval chuckled grabbing her hand and pulling her closer so she could cuddle her head on the crook of his neck. "I think it'll be a while before those pesky bugs leave." Diaval said. He looked down to see that Maleficent had fallen asleep. She snuggled closer, her warm breath bringing chills down Diaval's spine. Diaval caressed her cheek exhaling a breath he didn't know he held in. "I figured you would be tired." He chuckled.