Marks Faded and Rued

It was a dank day, and the pain was at its most potent. He felt as if there was an open wound at his side where his mind was so addled that poor Snape failed to even consider eyeing it. What screamed to him overly were these racing thoughts that scurried quickly as his memories fully flew back to him. Fleeting beauties flashed before his stinging eyes, of a girl with bright green eyes and fiery red hair, who smiled down at him... before her face contorted with age and her eyes were then overrun with horror...

That dunking feeling of dread settled horribly deep in his chest when Snape fully saw where he was. He was sulked young man, thinned from starvation and ongoing physical abuse that covered from his head, to his toes. His clothes were stark and torn, leaving nearly nothing of his cloak and mask... A mask that bruised over his brow so viciously that he had to fling it off as soon as he came to. He simply could not remember how he had gotten to the Hallow, but it was for certain that it was made possibly with brute desire, and a driving force that granted him the strength to rise again.

It was all he knew.

Dread.

In the days following went with a grueling approach when it reached through all the way to the month of June, after the start over of the year was such a catastrophe. However, after some recovery from the ordeal, Lyra and her two were able to make up for any lost time, as their Professors were most gracious and grateful for their apparent safety. As were the rest of the student body, and creatures alike... There came a morning when the ghosts were all a flutter about the current gossip, of the vanishing of the Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and the kindled familial relationship between the Head of Slytherin and his Gryffindor ward.

As everyone would very well know what had gone down anyway beforehand, as no secret was ever left astray, it was then the Keeper of Key's turn to have his desired word with the fated young witch after her full recovery. Being as respectful as could be, the kindly Half Giant awaited to meet the Potion's Master at the great door of the Grand Hall. Orpheus Prince was in a private dilemma during this time, above all other things as a Hogwarts Deputy. Despite the trauma suffered further more in the deeper regions of the ancient grounds, the school trudged on like any other year. It was all difficult though for the few to get through the final bit of the First Year, on account of being so shaken from those darkening events. That was not all, because there soon came another letter signed by one Pixley on one of the nights after the fact. Very little was spoken about on such matters, and so Hagrid did manage well of keeping the respect to where it was due, and to whom. Professor Prince soon happened in the court, telling the Giant to come to him by his mere presence alone.

"Mornin', Pr'fessor," Hagrid greeted as he tapped something lightly within his might coat pocket. Prince silently nodded in return, with a trace of determination.

Hagrid saw a hint of a smile from him and a soft tap on the elbow, along with the request~ "Walk with me."

The morning was drawing on to noon at that moment, and so the day in view of the Highlands were beautiful to behold. The day's brightness was opening up to a new season; a warmer one that told that Summer was softly edging its head through the clouds.

"While the season is prepossessing, I am almost considering Arthur Weasley's offer for the summer, but not overly. My name is being called away once more as the Stand is becoming more anxious about current affairs." Prince began to explain. "Rightly so, that these callings are to become more frequent... That tiny home will not suffice this time around. I dare not torment her with it. While it suits as a safe house, she is in need of fresher air, and divine freedom for once in her life while she has her youth. She will remain here, at Hogwarts."

"A'er wot ye saw, wot she saw...that is fine, ye?"

"There will be protections in place, as my presence shall remain the same as vowed. We will settle here for June alone. There are matters for she and I to settle on before her second year comes." Prince plainly explained, with his gaze never leaving the distant lake below from the pass.