All For Naught?

"Good morning to you, Severus. It's a fine one for a stroll, isn't it? Lemon drop?"

Severus glowered at the offer but gently waved it off.

"I think I will pass on that, Headmaster. I believe it is crucial to discuss the Potter matter."

"Indeed, it is so. How is she, if I may intrude?"

"Safe. Headstrong child." Severus snarked. "What more would you like to know?"

He got the gesture towards the Pensieve. Severus gave a terribly heavy sigh as he drew a memory from his temple by the tip of his wand. He let this stringy silvery light float lamely into an old stone basin where a vision came to be through the rippling pool inside. As soon as he dispersed it, he held a look of agony as the Headmaster was free to see something deeply personal to the dark wizard.
It was a time, years ago, when he got home late one night finding the lass deep asleep in his reading chair by the dying embers of the fire. There was himself, taking a book off her lap and placing it aside before gently rousing her enough for her to get her arms around his neck to picked her up. After carrying her up to the bedroom, he gently set her down with her not even waking, not once. Severus remained still for a moment, after covering the girl in her covers. To the elder, it was obvious that a bond has been strongly built over those few years.

"You allowed this to happen to me even when you already know my eventual fate. Since when did I ever agree to this, I have no bloody idea." Severus drawled, sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

"She is in the safest place possible. With you, Severus. And you have done it well for all these years. I take it that you have grown to care for her?"

"More than you know. And I fear that... in the near future, this will be all for naught."

"All for naught, will it? Well, let us just agree to disagree... After all, it is time to prepare to welcome our new years, including your ward, truly. Even beyond this point, she will be ready.
Likened to your youth, I would imagine. Hm?"