The Leaky Cauldron

After reading, from what she counted herself, five chapters of A History of Magic, Rosie believe she was so close to throwing the book at the eyes staring down at her from the wood ceiling. For the most part, she was only imagining doing so, since the action would only give her another demerit. Something caught her eye outside though, and so she sat up to go investigate. Oddly, she only saw the alley by her room window. At the moment, she did not realize or hear of the deep footsteps near her doorway. Rosie only turned slightly, seeing him in the hall, his black eyes downcast, locked onto the sharp words of the paper. The one with the moving pictures. His jaw was tense after a moment, and he crumpled the page up in his hands, much to her surprise. She knew better than to ask— That was something she had to constantly remind herself.

In her heart, she knew well that he carried around a lot of heavy baggage, but she never knew of what. She could mistake stars in his eyes when he would look at her though. He hardly expressed much, but his eyes spoke volumes. Life had not been easy for either of them, for she did acknowledge that he was working to keep her safe from many dangers from the outside world. He always protected her from something, or... someone, for that matter.

She recalled a heavy night once when he returned home long past midnight. She went down to greet him, at first being as quiet as a mouse. She was young at 8 years old when she was working for his approval for most days. When she made her way quietly to the study, she heard him make a sound. One that made her heart twist in a knot after it welled with worry. Prince gasped out as if he was suddenly stabbed. He sat by the table of the study, by the window, his face buried in his hands. His deep and heavy breaths beckoned her to close on in, especially when she realized that he was crying.
Soon, she was sighted, shying at the door of the study...
Despite how he was, he quietly gestured for her to enter.

"I-is it something that I... I have done?" she timidly asked.
This was all so surreal to her. Prince was always able to handle anything...
"No," he answered, his usually strong voice barely audible at first.
"...it's nothing that you've done," he whispered, wiping his eyes.
"Can I... help?" she asked, not knowing how she would, in truth.
What happened that made him this distraught tonight?
When she asked that he rose his glossy eyes back to her, looking rather perturbed when he caught sight of her mark. He fixed her nightshirt up, properly as a diversion while he mustered the right words.

"You are here, well-tended... that is all the comfort I need. Forgive me for waking you, now please go back to your bed..."
His voice was so low and tired just as he was at heart. He did not even rush her... There was a headline on the paper by him, stating in bold lettering that a Muggle family of three had been murdered.

Ever since she knew something was awry as to why he was gone for so much and why he was so dog tired every time he returned. That time, in particular, was especially hard-hitting for him and the fact that she could not help was still upsetting to her, to this day. As soon as she got the chance, she saw that he threw the Prophet aside into the bin by his writing desk. Sneaking about wasn't a part of her daily routine, even on a bad day, but she definitely couldn't do it while he was frequent here. If she even thought about it at close range, he would know.

Among whatever he had planned today though, she knew that she was in for a long one. Rosie had no idea what today entailed, having never been to such a place like Diagon Alley before. The one thing she was used to doing what waiting for any sign or word throughout the hours, listening to LouLou blabber on about how dusty the kitchen got.

Feeling a need to get on with the day, despite her nerves, she took her hairbrush from her bedside to start on this redhead mop on her head that was a constant bother. Naturally, she wasn't very good at it. No matter though... she could tell when he loomed nearby.