7. Tear

Miles sat at the kitchen island with his head in his hands

Miles sat at the kitchen island with his head in his hands. Danny was bursting with excitement and pacing back and forth.

"You're Requiem," he murmured. "Do you even realize what this means?"

Miles groaned. "I'm well aware of my identity."

"But you're famous. Like famous-famous."

"Not hardly. I have a fanbase, but it's nothing extravagant." Miles sighed and looked at Danny. "Please don't make this a bigger deal than what it is."

"Miles, this is a big deal. I have been your fan for years now. I have been dying to see you live, but you only perform at The Apple." Danny argued and sat next to him. "Half of my high school was in love with you. The other half wants to be like you."

"I just want to create music," Miles said heavily. 

"Is that why you created Dirge Records instead of signing with another agency?"

Miles stifled a yawn. "Yes and no. It was mainly for creative freedom."

"What do you mean?"

Miles rubbed his tired eyes. "Big agencies are assholes and have misguided ideas of what music people should make. They demand that artists conform to their ideology.  They chase popularity over the beauty of free-falling music. I refuse to comply."

"Brian from Eclipse is definitely like that.  As I said, he's a creep." Danny smiled and laid his head down on the marble counter. "Shit. You have this whole secret identity thing going on. You're so fucking cool."

Miles chuckled and mirrored Danny's position. He closed his eyes to relish the coolness of the marble pressed against his face. "Not really. One of the main reasons I did the anonymous thing was to hide from Larry. I continued it because it was easier... until it wasn't."

"It's not anymore?"

"The label now has six artists under it. It's not big, but it's busy for one person to run it. I just want to go back to creating music." He released a long breath that bore the weight of his responsibilities. "Just don't tell Eve or Desmond that. They have offered to help, but they have their own busy lives."

"Can I help?"

Miles' eyes shot open. "What?"

Danny sat up. "I don't have experience, but I can be a gopher until I can take something off your plate. It's the least I can do for invading your space."

"You're not invading." Miles protested, but he seriously considered Danny's proposal. It would be nice to have someone help out. Danny could meet with his old professors when he was on campus. He could help with some of the emails and inquiries. Hell, Danny is organized and intelligent. He could even start taking over some of the tour schedules for his other artists.

"Please?" Danny pleaded while Miles was silent.

Miles sat up from the island and rubbed his eyes again. I wouldn't hurt to get help from someone he trusted. "I'm paying you to work for me."