12. 2-Click Orbit

Miles had always expected the worst from people; however, the women in the villa broke all expectations he held

Miles had always expected the worst from people; however, the women in the villa broke all expectations he held. The moment he entered, they swarmed and cooed over him. They asked him enough questions to make his mind spin.

They made him sit at the table with him and poured him a glass of wine. Before he knew it, he had cards sitting in front of him. He was paired with Delma and played against two women who introduced themselves as Rose and Judith.

Both women were pristine. They dressed well but comfortably. Rose's white hair was permed, and she was fond of pearls. Judith's hair was cut into a sharp bob but dyed a soft lavender. She wore a pantsuit with her nails done and wore minimal jewelry. She was elegant, and in any other circumstance, Miles would have avoided them. Yet, he found himself enjoying his time with them.

"So, Miles, what do you do?" Rose asked.

"I work in the music industry." He gave a vague answer.

"Oh? Judith's nephew does something like that." Rose replied with a smile.

Miles returned the smile at the equally vague reply. There were a thousand different ways someone could work with music.

"It's a tough business to break into. My company is small, but I wouldn't have it any other way."

"What does your partner think about it?" Judith asked with a glint in her eyes.

"Partner? It's just me at the company. I did hire my kid brother to help, but that's it."

Delma laughed and nudged him. "Romantic partner, darling."

Miles flushed and rubbed the back of his neck. "Ah, nothing like that."

He felt the room still, and the women at other tables and the seating area turned to him.

"Oh, dear. You threw him to the wolves, Judith." Rose chuckled behind a hand.

The chatter started again, bombarding him with random tidbits about the children in their family.

"My granddaughter is quite lovely..."

"My niece runs a wedding planning agency..."

"My daughter is a little older but owns a luxury clothing line..."

Miles coughed and held up a hand. "Sorry, ladies. I should specify that I am... um... attracted to men."

Several women sighed heavily and returned to the tables, but many remained. Miles' orientation didn't deter the others.

"Well, my grandson is a catch..."

"Mine will be taking over the business..."

"My Charles enjoys spending his time traveling..."

Judith clicked her tongue and silenced the women. "You're overwhelming the poor young man. I'm sure he has plans for his own love life."

"You just don't meet such a good young man," Rose said with a wink thrown his way. "It's a shame that my family tends to have daughters, not sons. I would snatch him up in a heartbeat."