43. See Saw [End]

Miles nervously adjusted his collar, grateful he didn't have to wear a tie

Miles nervously adjusted his collar, grateful he didn't have to wear a tie. Although he was in another room, he could still hear the murmurings and chatter of the crowd waiting for him and his DJs. 

Juse and Phase were sitting next to each other. Phase's knee bounced with nervousness, but Juse placed a hand on his thigh, distracting him from his anxiety. Phase smiled fondly and leaned against Juse. 

Flux was pacing back and forth in a black dress, her heels clicking along the tiled floor, while Quake had his eyes closed and his headphones blaring. They were all feeling the same discomfort Miles was. 

Rumors were spreading that Dirge was merging with Aura, but this was the day they would officially announce it. 

Miles cleared his throat to get everyone's attention. Flux tapped Quake's shoulder, and he took off his headphones. When all eyes were on him, he gave them a reassuring smile. 

"Interviews fucking suck," he started, drawing a laugh from his people. "But I guess it's customary when you're as talented as we are, so we better get used to it."

Phase snorted. "You're not wrong."

"Humbleness at its finest," Flux playfully chided. 

Miles was relieved to see them relax a little. "You're not obligated to answer all of their questions. You can rely on me or Shawn if you're uncomfortable."

"They're probably going to ask more questions about you and Shawn anyway," Quake said.

"Thank fuck for that," Phase groaned. "Please keep all of the attention on you."

Miles laughed. "I'll try my best."

There was a knock on the door, and Shawn walked in, his eyes immediately finding Miles. He quickly brought him into his arms and kissed his temple. "How are you feeling?"

Miles shrugged. "Somehow, I'm better than the first interview."

"It gets easier over time. Soon, you'll be a pro." Shawn encouraged and then looked at the others. "And you four?"

"Do I have to say anything?" Phase asked. "I mean, I may say something stupid or say 'fuck'. Fuck! I'm going to say 'fuck' on live television." 

He groaned and slumped against Juse. 

"You'll be fine," Miles said. "We're going to get through this and drink heavily afterward."

Jules entered the room and gave them a cheerful greeting. "They're ready for all of you!"

They all paled at the announcement. Miles took a deep breath. "Well, that's our cue. Let's get this shit done and over with."

Shawn placed a hand on Miles' lower back, and they led the others out of the room to a large stage. Unlike most press conferences, this stage was set up to make Miles and his group comfortable. The lights were bright enough for filming but not blinding. Instead of rigid chairs, couches were set up around the stage with microphones in front of them.