Epilogue: Missed Connections

••••••Ten years before Shawn and Miles reunited••••••

Miles tugged at his tie and rolled his shoulders in his uncomfortable suit. He had just made some money from one of his records and could barely afford a decent suit, but it was a little tight. He could feel it pull at his shoulders. He frowned a little, unsure if it was the suit that was uncomfortable or the party he was at. 

He didn't know why he agreed to attend the Andersons' Christmas Eve party.  He hardly spoke to his biological father, but Nan had insisted in hopes that a relationship could be built between them all. Although he had already anticipated the result, he found it difficult to refuse her.

He tried not to judge the people around him, but it wasn't easy. Those around his age were bragging about the things their parents bought them for Christmas while he was standing in a second-hand suit, hoping that he could pay rent. He couldn't relate to this world of privilege. When someone stopped to ask him which company he was entering after college, he didn't know what to say. He would never join his father's company even if it were offered. 

He just smiled and said something vague like, "I'm working toward my master's degree at this point, so I have time to decide."

It was still the wrong answer because he needed to embellish or brag about his father's company. He was irked that no one dared to mention their own achievements. No one seemed to care about making an effort or paving their road.  They all will go into their parents' companies. They already have an easy path laid out for them. 

These people never knew struggle or pain. 

He pulled himself away from the group, unwilling to speak to them again. His gaze found Will speaking with a few peers on the other side of the room. He had his father pay for some elite college and was getting an MBA. However, Miles knew that he didn't earn it. It was all a facade, much like everyone else here.

He sighed and found Larry with his wife, Madeline, and their young son, Danny. He had met Danny once before. He was a quiet child and looked up at Miles like he was a monster. He was quick to hide behind his mother. 

But something was charming about the kid. His hair was a blonde mess of curls, and he had bright, inquisitive green eyes. He was about eight years old and wearing a suit that didn't match his age. 

The young child tried to stand up straight while the adults talked around him. He was tired but hid the yawns, trying to escape. Miles looked at his watch and frowned. It was nearly ten o'clock. Why would they force a kid to stay up for this?

He watched Danny fail at hiding his last yawn, making Larry pause and look at his son darkly. 

Miles could hear Larry's cold voice from across the way. "Are we boring you?" 

Danny looked frightened and quickly shook his head. He stepped back out of fright but bumped into a woman. She yelped and dropped her champagne glass. The liquid drenched little Danny, and the glass shattered around him. 

Danny was bright red, and his eyes glistened with tears. 

"I'm sorry," he whispered. 

Larry was rageful. "You little—"

"How about I take him back to his room," Miles interrupted as he quickly approached them.