16. Zig Zag

Miles was half tempted to follow Phase out and ignore this bullshit

Miles was half tempted to follow Phase out and ignore this bullshit. He knew that he would decline anything Brian would offer. However, Miles was uneasy. If Brian had already taken over the studios, what else did he take over? 

Will he ruin Flux's upcoming tour? Were the clubs Quake performing at a lost cause? How would they market and promote? What else was ruined because he refused to sell to Eclipse?

He grabbed his bag sitting in a corner and dug out his cigarettes. He hardly smoked now but today called for an exception. His hands trembled for a moment as he lit it, and then he inhaled a long drag of smoke. 

Oscar huffed. "You're not supposed—"

"If I have to listen to your bullshit, I will be smoking. You can fuck off if you try to stop me," Miles said, fitting Oscar with a glare. He blew a plume of smoke in Oscar's face.

"Let's go somewhere for lunch. There's a beautiful restaurant a few blocks down that I think you will enjoy," Brian started. "I'll grab my keys and drive you over."

"Lunch?" Miles laughed.

Brian responded with a grin as if he had already won. "Yes. My treat."

Miles doubted he could keep anything down if he attempted to have a meal with a bastard like Brian. He also didn't want to get trapped in a car with him. Besides, he stuck to the rule 'never go to a second location.' He already knew this was a dumb fucking idea, and there was no chance in hell he would worsen the situation.

Lunch. What a joke.

"No need. Just tell me what you want here and now. Otherwise, I'm out."

Brian's face turned red, either with embarrassment or anger. He was reluctant to let Miles have his way, but he relented. "Fine. Come to the office."

Miles kept the cigarette between his lips as he followed him, keeping an eye on the door. Oscar kept it open but stood next to it as if standing guard. Miles realized he would need to get past Oscar to exit unless he wanted to jump out the window. Neither option was appealing.

He was back to chastising his hair-brained plan. 

Brian sat in an oversized chair behind his desk and motioned for Miles to sit. However, Miles remained standing to show that he was ready to leave at any moment.

"I have tried tirelessly to merge our companies and assist with leveraging your people," Brian started with some exasperation.

"You have contacted my office enough to be considered harassment," Miles replied sharply.

"That's how valuable I believe you are."

Miles shook his head. "Don't bullshit a bullshitter. There's a clear difference between cooperation and strong-arming. The way you have approached me and my company is unwarranted. You should have respected my initial answer and backed the fuck off."