14. Log Stab

Miles and Shawn sat outside in the garden

Miles and Shawn sat outside in the garden. Because there was a chill in the air, Miles had turned on the electric fire pit to keep them warm. They were still sipping on their whiskey but enjoying the small sanctuary.

"Are you sure you're okay with Rob and Courtney crashing at your place?" Shawn asked, breaking the silence.

"A little late for that, considering they're already settling in." Miles chuckled. "But no, I don't mind at all."

Shawn took a drink from his glass, and Miles had to admire his every movement. How his fingers delicately wrapped around the glass. The way his lips touched the glass. The way his neck flexed and highlighted his subtle beauty marks. And then he licked his lips to capture the moisture of the alcohol. He would be content to watch him like this forever.

Shawn seemed to have felt his stare and turned toward him. Miles didn't shy away and was captured by his dark eyes and knowing smile.

"Rob and Court are good for Danny," Miles finally said, leaning back into his chair, breaking eye contact.  He closed his eyes and sipped his drink.

"I still can't believe you're Danny's brother. I half feared that I would be walking into Will's house." Shawn said.

"Well, my standing in the family is a bit... complicated. Not many know about me."

"Why is that?" Shawn winced from his own question and added, "If you don't me asking."

Miles smiled. "I'm the illegitimate bastard. Mom met Larry at a bar, and he was quite the charmer. All it took was a one night of bad decisions, and suddenly she was a single mother at 21."

"Shit. I'm sorry."

"No need to be sorry. Mom and I made it work." Miles shrugged awkwardly but didn't elaborate on his relationship with his father or family. It was easier to retreat behind his walls. No one wanted to hear the sob story of a bastard.

Shawn seemed to have a question at the tip of his lips but held it back. He appeared to be reluctant to push boundaries.

Instead, Shawn leaned back and shifted the subject. "Tell me about yourself, Miles Mendez. There's so little known about you, and I admit I'm curious."

"I'm pretty sure I have a portfolio online or something. Not too sure how up-to-date the Dirge website is." He dragged his hands over his stubble. "Fuck. I need to check that, don't I."

"Considering you don't have a picture posted of yourself, I would recommend it. You can drum up a lot of traffic with your looks alone." Shawn laughed, causing Miles to preen from the compliment inwardly. "I have read your profile, though, and you have impressive college credentials. However, it's not very telling."

Miles flushed at the fact that Shawn had read his profile. He kept it somewhat bland with a few accolades. He was more focused on his artists.

"What do you want to know?"