18. 2-Sound Transform

Miles was standing at the window, watching Shawn drive away

Miles was standing at the window, watching Shawn drive away. He was overwhelmed with emotion. He didn't know if he should be frightened or excited. But the latter was starting to win out. After all this time, his feelings for Shawn had grown. It was a strange concept considering how he didn't know Shawn all that well. 

"Miles? What the hell is happening?" Quake asked from behind him. "Phase is freaking out about something, Danny called a meeting, and you come back beat to hell."

"I'm more confused about fucking Shawn Pierce storming in," Phase said with a shake of his head. 

"And where the hell is Requiem? Why doesn't he ever show up for these meetings? It's his label too." Quake grumbled. 

Miles gave Danny a disconcerted look. Danny shrugged a little. "Everyone is worried, that's all."

Juse had poured drinks for everyone and ushered them to the table. "Sit down and let the boss-man explain."

While Juse was the one who typically remained stoic and silent, Trickshot was the one who hadn't said much the entire night. He was sitting at the table, fidgeting with his fingers as if unsure of what to do with himself. 

They gathered around and watched Miles carefully. Miles tapped the glass lightly, unsure where to start. 

"There's a lot of companies that want Dirge," he finally said quietly. 

"You mean they want Requiem," Trickshot finally huffed, revealing a little more resentment than Quake did moments ago. 

Miles licked his lips tentatively. "Yes and no. Some companies want everyone. I admit, their offers are tempting, but their practices are not."

"What do you mean?"

"They're chart-chasers. They will twist their music and genres to match whatever is popular. Yes, it may make you money but it will drown out your skills and individuality. I have declined all of these offers." Miles explained.

"What about you?" Flux asked.

"I would receive a payout that will keep me comfortable. But it wasn't enough for me to consider it."

"And the other companies?" Trickshot asked.

"Requiem," Miles said quietly. "They offered to take Requiem off my hands and will not touch Dirge."

"And does Requiem know this?" Flux asked.

"All offers were declined," Miles said and then sighed. "Eclipse started with just offers to Requiem years ago. However, after receiving Requiem's rejections, they started aiming at Dirge, believing I would be an easier target."

"Eclipse used to be reputable, but now, not so much," Juse said quietly. "I don't trust their practices.

"They're assholes," Phase chimed with an angry scoff.