8. Play

Miles found that the trio of teenagers had brought more laughter and life to his home as Halloween approached

Miles found that the trio of teenagers had brought more laughter and life to his home as Halloween approached. Although they were there often, their visits had somehow increased.

However, part of their visits included pestering him to meet new people. They grumbled about how he was always alone and only focused on work. Somehow, he was bullied by three 18-year-old kids to accept a date.

Now he sat in a restaurant that was far too expensive for a first date. Miles had to refrain from flinching when he realized the menu had no listed prices. He was doing well financially and splurged when he wished to, but he was always frugal with food. Why go to an expensive restaurant when you can cook a meal?

Or they could go to a place with a friendlier budget. Go to a diner that encourages fun and conversation, or they could binge on food trucks while walking around a park.

Basically, Miles hated any reason that forced him to get dressed up.

Eve had jested that Miles was bad at being rich. But after 20-plus years of struggling, it was hard to change. He almost had an anxiety attack when he finally purchased his townhouse. He had buyer's remorse when he upgraded his equipment. He tried to return his first motorcycle, but Eve laid into him about spoiling himself.

Nevertheless, he was in this exorbitant restaurant wearing extremely uncomfortable clothes. His shoes were too stiff. His slacks were too tight. The button-down shirt was stiff around the neck. The worst thing was the tie. Why did he have to wear a tie? He felt like he was collared and leashed.

Miles was convinced that a suit and tie was a sad imitation of BDSM.

However, the man sitting across the table from him was more accustomed to this. He seemed to be born in a suit. He sat confidently in his chair, lightly holding the glass of red wine as he ordered his meal. He had no realistic expectations for this date, but he had to admit that his date was good-looking.

He was a friend of a friend of a friend... something along those lines. He happened to see Miles at The Apple and inquired about meeting him. Several phone calls later, Miles learned his name was Brady and reluctantly agreed to meet him.

Although Miles was reluctant, the smile Brady flashed him relaxed him.

"So you are a co-owner of The Apple?" Brady asked. Although handsome, his voice was monotone—little to no fluctuation and hardly any timbre. For someone who enjoys music so much, a person's voice was essential to Miles. He wanted someone who could inspire him to make music based on their conversations, the sounds he makes when he laughs, or how he moans his name.

But who was he kidding? He wasn't here for inspiration, a relationship, or even a fuck. He just wanted to get three annoying people off his back. So, he pushed past the 'dead inside' voice and endured.

Miles smiled. "That's right. It's been running steady for 6 or 7 years now."

"And you haven't thought about expanding?"