35. Prism Tear

Miles' leg bounced as he sat at the bar; his drink had gone untouched

Miles' leg bounced as he sat at the bar; his drink had gone untouched. Shawn placed a steadying hand on his leg and smiled. "It'll be okay."

Danny insisted that he went to the Anderson's Christmas Eve party. Miles tried to talk him out of it earlier in the day, but Danny wouldn't budge. Miles could still see the worry in his eyes and the stress in his tight shoulders when they were in the car.

Miles knew he had asked Danny to choose between Larry's reaction if he didn't attend or his reaction to Danny living with him. There wasn't a winning scenario for Danny.

Miles picked up the glass of whiskey but put it down immediately. "I just have a bad feeling."

Shawn sighed and placed a hand on his lower back to comfort him. "I know. But we're here if anything happens."

"When. When it happens," Miles responded. "I humiliated Will in front of Brian. He's too petty to let it go. Before, he couldn't do anything to me, but he found out that Danny is my weakness."

"Do you regret letting Danny in?"

"God, no. Never," Miles said without hesitation. "I would give up anything for him—my home, Dirge, my music. He deserves that and more."

"I know that. And so does he." Shawn gave him a reassuring smile. "All I've ever had was Courtney to care for as a younger sibling, but I have learned the best thing I can do is care for her. So, care for Danny in the ways he needs. Encourage him, comfort him, and support him."

Miles leaned against Shawn's shoulder. "How do you always say what I need to hear the most?"

Shawn kissed the top of his head. "It's a lucky guess."

Shawn's phone was sitting on the bar and started to vibrate. Shawn looked confused as he picked it up, but then his jaw tensed when he saw it was his mother calling.

"Mom?" He answered, and then his jaw clenched. "Shit. We'll be right there."

He hung up, and his gaze was sympathetic. "Larry's causing a scene."

"Goddammit." Miles stood up and rolled up the sleeves of his sweater. "This... um..." he stumbled on his words. "This may not be civil."

Shawn shrugged as he followed Miles. "I'm not a fan of 'social graces' in these situations."

They quickly made their way to the elevator, and Shawn placed his hand on Miles' back. He could feel him practically vibrate with emotions.

Miles ran a hand through his hair while waiting to reach their floor. "Did they say exactly what was happening?"

Shawn shook his head. "I'm sorry, no."

Miles groaned. "Larry and I can't have a conversation without being close to trading blows. I've gone three years without interacting with him for my own peace of mind. Three glorious years."