29. Ox Flare

The sounds of the club were drowned out as Miles wrestled with his thoughts

The sounds of the club were drowned out as Miles wrestled with his thoughts. Shawn leaned toward him and softly called out to him. "Miles."

Miles flinched when he heard his voice. Shawn had been so silent during this conversation. He then realized he had revealed almost too much and cursed his careless words. But as he looked at Shawn, he couldn't find it within himself to regret it. He instantly sought comfort from his gaze. 

He took a deep breath and turned back to Jay. "If I'm honest, I may always resent you."

Jay nodded. "I know. I understand."

"However, I am grateful for what you're doing in this neighborhood. I'll look into your youth center, and if there is something I can help with, I will let you know."

Jay's mouth fell open, and he visibly trembled. "What? But why help me?"

"We both know the government and the school systems won't do shit to help the kids in these parts. People like us have to step up instead." Miles shrugged and then stood, ready to put an end to this night. Shawn stood with him, and Miles instinctively intertwined his fingers with his.

Jay's eyes focused on their hands momentarily before he smiled with relief. "Circumstances aside, I'm glad you stopped by."

Miles nodded in response, feeling the same sentiment.  

He checked his phone, seeing Phase's message telling him they brought Trickshot through the back door and had him in the car. 

Shawn led him back outside, and they quickly slipped into the car and took off.  Trickshot was asleep and reeked of alcohol. Phase and Juse had mirrored expressions of disgust. 

"What happened when you picked him up?" Miles asked. 

Phase huffed. "He was babbling nonsense."

Miles looked back in the rearview mirror with a raised eyebrow.

Phase groaned. "He was talking shit about Requiem... I also think he was secretly meeting with Eclipse."

Miles tensed. "Why do you say that?"

Phase glared at Trickshot's sleeping figure. "He kept saying something about Brian being right."

"Fuck," Miles sighed. 

Phase kept a dark gaze on Trickshot. "Do you think he told him about... um... Requiem's identity?"

Miles knew that Phase was trying to be vague about Requiem because Shawn was in the car. However, when Miles glanced at Shawn, he noticed he was equally upset as Phase.

Suddenly the look Shawn had after their shower made sense. Too many things have hinted at his dual identity, and Shawn connected the dots. The gig was up. 

Shawn knew who Requiem was. 

"You know, don't you?" Miles asked.

Shawn looked at him and gave him a coy smile. "What do you mean?"