33. Crab Flare

Shawn and Miles had fallen into a routine

Shawn and Miles had fallen into a routine. They did not prioritize dates but often had homemade dinners at Miles' place, where Shawn would spend the night. Shawn seemed to prefer the warmth of Miles' home and would spend most of his time there. To Miles' delight, more of Shawn's clothes and accessories filled his closet, while other small pieces of him appeared around his house.

After seeing Shawn conduct meetings at his kitchen table, he set up a desk in his studio. He would work on the turntables while Shawn ran his business so they could stay together. No part was hidden at this time, and Miles felt liberated. 

These small details breathed more life into Miles' house and his heart.

Miles left the house alone the day before Christmas Eve and parked in a familiar lot. The snow had started to come down and blanket the ground. He got out and slipped on a scarf and gloves. He grabbed a blanket and a small wreath arranged with clusters of pine needles and holly.

The snow crunched underneath his foot as he walked through the serene graveyard.  The white blanketing the gravestones gave Miles a sense of peace, and the city's noise faded away. He used to hate this place, but now, he found it almost therapeutic. He ignored the snowflakes melting on his face, feeling more refreshed than anything. 

His feet carried him to a humble gravestone, and he smiled. He placed the wreath on the ground before the grave as he knelt. 

"Hey, Mom," he said softly to the gravestone. He spread the blanket over the snow and sat down, leaning his back against the cold stone. 

He sighed softly, watching his breath fog in front of him like smoke. The snow started to fall a little heavier, echoing his silence. The trees were bare in the cold, and their dark bark stood in contrast to the snow, painting a beautiful scenery.

His fingers brushed against the pine needles and then pinched a holly leaf. "I think this is the first Christmas visit I've come with flowers instead of a bottle of bourbon... so you know things have been better."

"The business is... a lot. It's time to let go of this role in Dirge, especially because I may have a place to go. I know if I move to Aura, I can focus on music." He grinned happily. "And, Mom, the music is good... better, actually. I'm making something you would be proud of."

Miles chuckled. "I still need to get the vote from the group, but they seem to be on board. They all like Shawn, even though it was a little rocky when they first met him."

He was quiet for a moment. "I've mentioned Shawn plenty of times, but I've got to know him recently and... fuck... I really like him... Who am I kidding? I'm hopelessly in love with him."

He laughed at himself, feeling a sense of relief. "That was the first time I admitted it out loud... Considering how often I have brought him up these last 12 years, you probably already knew how I felt. You always knew where my heart was before I did."