31. Aquaman

It was snowing as Miles stepped out onto the sidewalk

It was snowing as Miles stepped out onto the sidewalk. However, he couldn't feel the bite of the cold. He had to cut people out of his life for many reasons, including drug use. Even now, it hurt, mainly because he felt he should have taken better care of Trickshot.

He exhaled, letting his breath fog in front of him as he zipped up his jacket and slipped on his gloves.

He considered going straight home but knew everyone was waiting for him. He didn't know if he could face them all just yet. He turned to walk in the opposite direction of his bike, but his steps faltered when he saw Shawn leaning against the cafe's outside wall, waiting for him.

"What are you doing here?"

Shawn smiled warmly and held open his arms. Miles was naturally drawn to his embrace and nestled his cheek against his chest.

"Flux told me where to go," Shawn said once Miles was tucked away in his arms. "What are we doing next?"

"What do you mean?"

"I figured you didn't want to go home yet. Want to walk with me in the snow?" Shawn seemed to know exactly what he needed.

Miles nodded, and they separated slightly. Shawn wrapped his arm around Miles' shoulders, keeping him close, while Miles hooked his arm around his waist. Miles never cared for PDA but couldn't help himself from touching Shawn.

They walked in silence for a while, and Miles' gaze lingered on the Christmas decorations lining the shop windows.

"The kids have been decorating the house," Miles said absentmindedly. "Courtney switched out the Halloween decorations for Christmas on November 1st."

Shawn chuckled. "She would do that."

"I just got used to it but hadn't realized how close the holiday was. This will be the first time I considered celebrating it in a long time." He has shut out the holiday for so long, but now with Danny living with him, he was considering doing something special.

"What do you normally do?"

Miles shrugged and paused in front of a bookstore. "Nan has tried to get me to their Christmas Eve party, but I have avoided it every time because that's not my scene. Eve always tries to have me over for dinner, but I don't like to impose on her family too often. Some years, I just spent the day ignoring the world with a bottle of bourbon and music."

Shawn pulled Miles in closer, unable to find the words to respond.

Miles leaned into him. "My mom and I would have our traditions, though. We couldn't afford much, so our gifts were personal in nature. Handmade items. Baked goods. Music." He chuckled at the old memories. "Then we would play our favorite Christmas albums, starting with Nat King Cole, Ray Charles, and Frank Sinatra. When she got weaker, we kept our music tradition alive."