Bella Ciao

"There is always stardust in my eyes when I look at you, my love." ― Ellen Read, The Dragon Sleeps

"Do you like frogs?"

The young woman smiled as she looked at the man who had almost just been run over.

"Yeah- I do."

He looked up at her, a bit suprised.

"I like frogs too, but bugs are a no-go. I also hate guys that smell bad." 

She turned around to look out at the horizon.

"I don't like anything that's not beautiful, in fact." 

The man on the ground hesitated, before standing up. 

"It- It's a hot day out, would you mind getting a drink with me?"

The woman turned around once more and eyed the other, circling around him like a vulture. She then made a thoughtful hum.

"Well.. Why not? I'll have a sparkling water, from France. On you right?" 

She smiled as the boy nodded anxiously.

"What's your name?" The boy asked.

"Donatella Una, and yours?"

"Uh, Solido Naso."

Love is strange. Especially for her. 

Donatella sighed as she lounged on a chair, cradling her darling child in her arms. Her daughter, Trish, was almost 1 now, with her father nowhere to be found. She would often wonder to herself if he had forgotten about her, but constantly countered that thought with memories of the times they had shared together. The last she had heard of him was before the fire. The entire town was engulfed in flames, and her lover was deemed as missing. Though, she still sought after him, knowing that surely he was out there, somewhere. 

She gazed at the face of her daughter. Her parents had not taken her pregnancy well, but they supported her in the end at least. She smiled as she rubbed her daughter's head. Red hair was beginning to grow in, reminding her of Solido. Still head over heels for someone she didn't even know was still alive, how could one live? But whenever she thought of him, she just knew that he would come back for her eventually. She set her child in a cradle, grabbing a photograph from the shelf. One that she took over the summer, when she and Solido had went to the beach together. Oh, it brought back such joyous memories.

She used to take him everywhere and show him off. He was very clumsy and got picked on by almost all the others, but she would always stand up for him. She really thought that it would last forever. She wanted it to last forever.

But things don't always work out the way they should.