One

11:36.

Diavolo stood outside, smoking a cigarette. A habit he had been making good progress on ending. His old 'once a week' method had upgraded to 'once every two weeks'. Soon he'd be able to stop smoking completely. 

It was a pretty day, Diavolo could see birds making a mess of the feeder in his neighbor's yard. Many dogs walked by his home as well, chasing away the other wildlife in the area. He even fed a stray cat, although it did try to bite him. 

Today was utterly boring, even so.

Kira was at work so he had nobody to bother. Of course, he could march up to the workplace and torment him, but he hated going out into the public. That and Kira would yell at him.

He hadn't talked to Doppio in a while, had he? 

Did he even remember how to contact him?

He was worried. Maybe it had been too long.

Diavolo went inside, putting his cigarette out and plopping down onto the couch. 

Doppio's probably fine. No, he's definitely fine. There's no need to worry about it.

Diavolo picked up the phone, holding the receiver close to him. Maybe, just maybe Doppio would respond? He didn't really need to use a phone, all he needed to do was talk. The only thing that mattered was if Doppio chose to talk back. But, at least he wouldn't look like a complete lunatic with a phone in his hand.

"..Doppio?"

Nothing. 

"Doppio? Are you there?"

Nothing. 

There was no reply any of the times he called out. But strangely, it didn't feel as bad as it did earlier. He could tell Doppio was there, surely he was listening. Right?

"I'm sorry I haven't really, uh, talked with you in a while.."

There was no need to be sorry, there were more important things to take care of, and Doppio knows that too.

"God, what the fuck am I doing? He's not answering, this is useless." 

Diavolo put the phone down, holding his face in his hands.

This was hard, it never used to be this hard. Then again, he was hidden away inside for a long time, wasn't he? He missed Doppio, did he know? Yes, he probably did. But then why didn't he answer? Maybe he couldn't speak. Everything was so confusing. But they'd get through it together like always, right? 

Was Doppio even there anymore?

Maybe.?