Fate's Favorite

"Desert wears many faces, yet he has none."― Mladen Đorđević, 

Kira Yoshikage was out and about again. It had been at least a week since he had stumbled upon his new muse. He had been actively searching for the red haired man ever since. He even reported to buying information from the underground informants. Sure he was just a businessman, but he had some connections. Unfortunately, he hadn't found much of anything. The red haired man had no records. None at all. It was as if he never even existed. 

Kira walked down a sidewalk, thinking to himself as he was greeted by an old lady, who makes his lunches every now and then. He used to work for her in his teenage years, restocking the shelves of the old convenience store. He managed a slight wave, buried deep within his thoughts. 

How was he going to find someone who doesn't exist? That shouldn't be possible. What if he was imagining things that day, and nobody was really there? No, it was much too real. 

Suddenly, he was on the ground. His briefcase was open on the ground, no doubtedly forced open by the fall, his papers were scattered everywhere. He looked up only to be met with a pair of sharp green eyes. 

Fate was truly on his side, wasn't it?

The man in front of him was indeed the one he had been looking for. Long red locks of hair speckled with dots framed his face. How lucky. The man looked absolutely terrified, perhaps still shocked from the fall. He was mumbling apologies and backed up from Kira. 

Kira, of course, found this quite laughable. The other man was already taller and much more muscular than him. What did he have to be afraid of? Kira worked on putting the papers back in the case, and the other man reluctantly helped out, still muttering his apologies like a mantra. 

This was his chance. He could kill this blubbering fool right here and take his precious hands. But no, there were too many people around. They must have come out of their shops to see what all the commotion was. He looked at the red haired man and put on a smile, extending his hand. This could work in his favor. The man was hesitant to take it, but did eventually. Kira helped him to stand back up, reassuring him that everything was fine. For now at least. The man was quick to try and run off, but Kira called out to him once more. 

"If I may ask, what's your name? I'm sure we've met before somewhere."

The man looked at Kira suspiciously before answering.

"..Solido Naso."

He had a thick Italian accent, and a gruff voice. It amused Kira even more. Such an intimidating looking man was reduced to a panicked mess just by bumping into someone. He wasn't going to let this chance go to waste. The man had started quickly walking away, and Kira kept his eyes planted firmly on his back. 

He could call in sick for work today, there were more important things to do.