Future Rain

."Your lips were made for mine, Beck. You are the reason I have a mouth, a heart." — 'You' novel

"How has work been for you?"

Diavolo asked, trying to break the ice between him and Kira.

"Stressful. You?"

For some reason, they were out together. Sitting outside of a cafe, sipping on mugs filled with coffee. It was sunny and warm, with a light cool breeze every once in a while, Kira's favorite weather. Of course, he would have much rather spent the day alone sitting on his porch, but he needed some interaction, especially since they hadn't met in a week for their 'arrangement'. 

"I'm- Well.. I don't have a job at the moment." 

Diavolo avoided eye contact the entire time, nervous about this whole situation. He didn't like being in public areas for too long, and it had already been almost an hour. God, an hour of silence. How did they even manage that?

"Why don't you have a job?"

Well. Kira could have already guessed that. A feminine man in 1929, not a really good look for jobs. Kira was accepting enough, but many others weren't. Even just sitting here with Diavolo got them both looks of disgust. And it didn't help that Diavolo was wearing a frilly white blouse, a sunhat, and a pair of black dress jeans today. Kira himself just wore a semi-formal suit, only, without the jacket since it was too hot. 

"It's a long story, that of which I'd rather not get into.. Never, really."

Diavolo tapped his fingers on his mug, knowing he just made it even more awkward with that statement.

A few minutes of silence ensued, until Kira spoke up.

"Are you afraid of people? I've noticed how nervous you are whenever there are others around. You get sweaty and fidgety."

Not that Kira really cared all that much, but Diavolo's behavior was obvious.

"Was I that obvious? I'm" Diavolo sighed. "I'm not really afraid, I suppose I just don't like them very much. They're all judgemental and.. Abusive. I've had some bad experiences with people."

Diavolo folded his hands, looking off to the side.

"That shouldn't affect the way you see every person. They aren't all as judgemental and abusive as you say." 

Kira was quick to reply, knowing one wrong move could mean he'd lose those beautiful hands. He wasn't going to let that happen. 

"I guess you're right, it's just hard to adjust after such experiences."

Diavolo said, fidgeting with his fingers.

Kira eyed Diavolo's hands. Diavolo knew exactly what he was doing, with all of the tapping and such. It was as if he was flirting, just with his hands. But this wasn't a date, and Kira had to keep some dignity. It took some willpower, but he tore his eyes away from those lovely hands, and instead stared intensely at Diavolo. Unfortunately, it came out as a soft, endearing look.

Diavolo noticed this, his cheeks turning a light pink. He had never been looked at like that in his life. It made him feel special, happy even. Even if it wasn't real, it didn't matter, all that mattered to him now were the feelings that bubbled up inside of him whenever he was around this man. It was strange. Diavolo didn't feel like himself, falling so quickly. No. No no no. He wasn't falling for Kira, was he? The only exchange they had recently was for sex, not counting today. There was nothing to fall for. He knew close to nothing about this man. 

Well, that was a lie. He had done some digging on him, and found out almost every aspect of his life. His parents names, his birth date, his age, everything. Kira wad just a normal guy. Who tried to kill Diavolo. Me. Maybe it was his mysterious personality that had us so attracted to him. But Diavolo isn't attracted to him.

"Why are you looking at me like that?!"

Diavolo snapped, out of the blue. 

"You have a problem with me looking at you?"

It wasn't because Diavolo was pretty or anything.

"Just. Stop looking at me like that."

Diavolo couldn't hide how red he was getting, using a hand to cover his face.

"Fine then. I'll stop."

Kira groaned, resting his head in a hand and moving his eyes elsewhere. He wasn't too fond of Diavolo's outburst, it make people look at them more. He hated the attention he was being given at the moment, not a fan of drawing attention to himself. Unfortunately, he was, again, sitting with the most attention grabbing person in the decade. And to top it all off, it was getting cloudy. Which meant it was going to rain soon. 

"I'm leaving. Bye."

Kira got up from his seat, but was halted by Diavolo's hand on his arm.

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine."

Diavolo looked down in guilt, making Kira sigh and go to the other's side.

"It's not your fault, it's going to rain soon."

It was true, but it wasn't like he really cared about Diavolo's feelings. Not that much, at least.

"Can we do this again? Go out together?"

Diavolo looked back at Kira, his grip tight on Kira's hand.

"Are you asking me out?"