1. New Body

"This effed up world's a bitch

---

I am so tired of being alone."

Eiwa's POV

A hand pushed me from the back, forcing me to stumble into the room with memory-extraction units. "Move faster, kid."

'Kid.' I may only be seventeen, but I can assure you that I'm more mature than the majority of these people. Scientists and researchers with IQs much higher than average, and strong soldiers working for a powerful non-governmental company that could have done so much more if they did not waste their time and money in trying to colonize another planet. Pandora.

Dr. Kho told me stories about it. She told me to read books about Pandora and even research papers sent from the team there. She was obsessed. Consumed. Enchanted by this planet she could only dream of going to. She had cancer and died just a month before I left the trip I'm going to go on in a few weeks. A trip that she herself had rigorously prepared me for, knowing very well that she would not be able to do it herself.

Her passing was sad, I guess. I would have cried at her funeral if she was a better mother. What she did, teaching and training me since I could walk, would definitely help me after I get into the link unit and live with my new body forever. However, it took away my life. Growing up with a scientist like her in a lab did not allow me to have any other time to make friends or live a life like others. All I knew was that I would be going to Pandora. And I was going to make my mother proud.

When I was young, I thought it was cool. That I had someone like her as my mother. Though I realized that she was nothing but a mother. She once admitted that she only had me for this sole reason. Project Phoenix.

I never addressed her with the word 'mom'. The last time I did was most likely when I was 8, before she locked me up in a cell for 5 days straight because I went outside to play when I was supposed to have a study session with her in the lab. Unfortunately, I had to continue living in a form of hell she had made for me. So I called her Dr Kho. Her first name was Andrea. I figured she at least deserved her first name to be told in this story. She was a close friend of Dr Grace Augustine. An infamous scientist that earned a title of 'a delusional traitor'. Hence why my middle name is Grace. I had never met Grace. I wish I did.

From the rumors and stories that float around, she was supposed to be someone people associated with the RDA should be against. Yet I can't help but admire her courage, and most importantly, her rationality.  No one working in the RDA is rational. They're all selfish and stupid people. There are a few exceptions that I will later meet in my life.

"You are Eiwa?" a lady asked me as I reached one of the link units. She read further, "Eiwa Grace Kho– Oh! You're Dr Kho's daughter?"

I forced a smile, "Yep. That's me."

"I'm so sorry for your loss," she gave me a tight-lipped smile. "She was an admirable individual."

"So I've heard," I mumbled as I got on the memory unit. This is it. My last minute with my current physical body. I was going to join the recombinants, a group of avatars with human memories. My mission was still unclear. All I know is that they have made an avatar for me to permanently be in.

You might ask, "Why does a seventeen year-old girl want to give up their body for a blue alien one?" Look, I had no choice. I was raised to do this. One thing I know is that I don't mind being 9 feet tall, because I'm not particularly the tallest on Earth. And from what I just saw earlier, my avatar has got a better booty than this body.

"You ready?" the woman asked breathily as she set the metal structure around my head.

"Hell yeah."