30. Hi, there.

"Just close your eyes and I'll be right by your side,

'Cause memories don't say goodbye."

Eiwa's POV

I entered the room, hoping that by some miracle he was actually there.

Today will be Neteyam's funeral ceremony, meaning that it would be the last time I could see him physically. I sat beside the mattress he had been placed on after they cleaned him up. I held his hand in mine, wishing that I could feel any kind of his presence.

"Neteyam... Neteyam... Neteyam..." I whispered his name as I began to accept reality that he is no longer here.

"How has death been treating you?" I asked. "Are things better than what we planned?"

Silence.

"Hope it is. You wait for me, alright?" I squeezed his lifeless hand. "Once I live for the both of us, I will join you there. Chances are that I will be quite wrinkly by then, but I hope you'll welcome me still." I chuckled alone.

I bit the inside of my cheeks, "I know it has only been a day, more specifically 14 hours. But I miss you quite a lot already. I hope you don't feel that way there, cause it sucks. By far the worst feeling I've ever felt."

I stayed in the room for a bit, before Ao'nung came in.

"Hey," he rubbed the back of his head. "The ceremony is about to start. You should join the Sullys outside," he informed me before leaving me alone again.

"I guess this is it," I sighed. "I'll see you."

It was almost dark when the burial ceremony started. I went out to find the Sullys gathering together, all wearing mourning attires. Kiri shot me a smile and called me over.

"Eiwa," Neytiri caressed my arm as a reassuring gesture.

I forced a smile.

"Would you like to join us?" she offered.

I raised my brows in surprise. I was not part of the family, nor am I related to Neteyam considering that we have not actually mated. It is not allowed that I join to bury him.

"Don't worry about the customs, I know Neteyam would like you to join us," Neytiri continued as if she had just read my mind.

I glanced up at her and smiled in response, "Thank you."

Neteyam's body was placed into a large leaf-like casket which was connected to the back of Jake's Ilu. Jake rode the Ilu so that the casket would be pulled towards the surface of the water above the glowing Spirit Tree. Kiri and Spider share an Ilu themselves while the rest surround the casket.

Slowly, we lowered down Neteyam's body towards the Spirit Tree. Each of us watched as the body returned back to Eywa. All energy is borrowed, and one day you have to give it back.

Neteyam is with Eywa now.

Just as I thought it was over, Neytiri pulled me by the hand and led me towards the Spirit Tree. Connect it. She signed.

I nodded, though I did not understand entirely what was going to happen.

I watched Jake and Neytiri connect their braids to the Spirit Tree. And I did the same.

My first experience with the Spirit Tree was not quite pleasant, but this time it was different.

It was really bright at first. I couldn't see a thing besides the blinding light. However, things slowly came together and I found myself in a familiar place. The forest greeted me with a lively breeze as the branches and the twigs rustled above me.

I turned as I breathed the air full of life. Is this Eywa?

"Hi, there."

I turned around to find Neteyam. Breathing and well. I froze and smiled in disbelief as tears filled my eyes.

"Neteyam?" I called just slightly above a whisper.

He smiled back and opened his arms wide. And I ran to him. As soon as I reached him, I practically jumped to hug him as tight as possible. Neteyam laughed and turned around whilst he pulled me up by the waist. "Why so excited?"

I pulled away to look at him and gave him a kiss on the lip, "No reason. I'm just... happy to see you." And I fucking miss you. I squeezed him again as I breathed in his scent.

"Ah, in that case there would be no need for me to show you the forest," he said. "Or did you forget? I told you that I was going to show you the forest."

A memory played in my mind of that night we talked about our plans.

"You remember that?" I asked.

"I remember everything that has you in it."