22. A Dream

"I had a dream."

Third person POV

Time continued to move and without much of our thought three months had passed since the arrival of the Sully's and the new girl from Earth. Who might just be part of Earth herself.

"Kiri!" Eiwa ran towards her friend.

Kiri turned to her, "What? Did Mom call me again for the—"

"No," Eiwa answered as she placed a hand on Kiri's shoulder, catching her breath.

"What is it then?"

"I had a dream," Eiwa said without hesitation. "It's weird but I've had some weirder ones."

"Ooh! I've always wanted a dream-exchange buddy," Kiri beamed. "What is it about?"

"It's very short and it jumps from scene to scene," Eiwa started.

"That's how it usually goes," Kiri chuckled.

"Right. I'm telling this because you were in it. But it wasn't you?" Eiwa said though it ended as a question.

Kiri opened her mouth but closed it again, "Uh—"

"Like it was you. It was definitely you because it looks like you," Eiwa explained. "But there's just something about you in my dream that does not come off as you. Do you understand?"

Kiri furrowed her brows, "Are you saying that a different person is in my body?"

"Yes! Yes. That's what I mean," Eiwa nodded.

"But how'd you know it's not me?" Kiri asked.

"Your voice is different," Eiwa mentioned. "And you moved in a much more elegant way, not that you aren't—"

"I get it. Just continue, because this is interesting," Kiri forced her friend to proceed.

"Alright, and I was there too. We were talking, I suppose," Eiwa bit her lips trying to remember what she had heard but could not. "It was unclear what I said, but it didn't feel like I was saying it. I was talking, I could feel my mouth moving. But it didn't feel like I was talking."

"You're implying that a different person is also in your body?"

"Yes, that's– yeah," Eiwa nodded. "And it felt real, like it was a vision or something. I'm not sure. It just felt different than the usual ones I get."

Kiri nodded in understanding, and just before she could say anything, Tsireya came up to us.

"Where have you two been?" she crossed her arms. "Everyone has been looking for you, they're all waiting by the water now." She pointed at a group of people further ahead, with Neteyam, Lo'ak, Rotxo and Ao'nung.

"Sorry, I thought we won't have any lessons today," Eiwa smiled apologetically.

"You're right, we don't have any lessons today," Tsireya raised her brows at Eiwa. "I just wanted to bring you all somewhere."

"Where?"

"You'll see."

___

Eiwa's POV

We swam along a lit up path Tsireya, Ao'nung and Rotxo had led us to. Tuk did not join us since she had chosen to join her mother to pick up some fruits. So it was just us older ones. Once we reached a rather large cave-like opening, Tsireya signed for us to swim up.

"We're bringing you to our Spirit Tree," Tsireya revealed once we were out of the waters. "I'm sure you had one in the forest."

Lo'ak nodded, "Yeah. We had the Tree of Souls."

"It's something like that, so we need to form groups again and partner up," she said. I rolled my eyes as I saw Lo'ak and her locked eyes.

"We should just go with the grouping we made in the beginning," Lo'ak said almost immediately. "Kiri with Rotxo, and the two of you with Ao'nung," he pointed at Neteyam and I.

We both looked at each other before seeking agreement from Ao'nung, who nodded in response. Rotxo and Kiri had grown to become good friends, so there was no need to ask them. They were already busy talking to each other after all. If only Kiri had not told me about her feelings for that missing boy, I would have suspected something between them.

"Right, remember to take care of each other alright? Immediately disconnect the Tsaheylu if you notice any of the connection failure symptoms," Tsireya said before diving back into the water. We followed suit.

I was honestly excited. I've read and heard a lot about Tsheylus with the Trees of Souls, and I can't believe today is going to be the day I experience one. I shot an excited look towards Neteyam who smiled in return.

We entered through the cave and for a few moments it was dark. As we turned the corner, my jaw dropped upon seeing what stood in front of me. A beautiful, glowing, coral-like tree. I almost forgot that I had to hold my breath. I turned to Kiri and exchanged excited smiles.

"Connect it, go on," Ao'nung signed with his hands as we reached on of the branches. I looked at Neteyam who gave me an encouraging smile.

I held up my braid and connected it with the tree as I felt myself drift away.

I was in a dark space with colorful glowing lights around. It was almost like the forest, but even darker and with no trees. Then I felt myself slowly disconnecting with my body. And somehow I panicked as I lost the feeling of my breath. I sighed in relief when I saw Kiri standing in front of me. But when she spoke, it wasn't her voice. The dream, I thought. It really wasn't a dream after all.

"Terra."