7. Hunting

"Keep right where you are
cause I've followed this far."

Third person POV

Neteyam dropped his jaw when he saw what was before him. Eiwa was on an Ikran. Not just on an Ikran. She was riding one all by herself. He did not know what to feel.

It was astonishing to find a newcomer make a bond with an Ikran so quickly. This also meant that Eiwa could be considered a warrior already. Even he himself had only bonded with his Ikran about two years ago, using the previous years to prepare for it. He was jealous but couldn't help feeling awestruck. "Who are you, Eiwa?" he muttered under his breath.

Neteyam was not sure if he should tell his parents about Eiwa and her Ikran, so he kept quiet. He did not even think to inform his He had thought Eiwa would brag about it, but she did not even mention it at all the next day.

It was lunch when Eiwa noticed that Neteyam was staring at her with a look she couldn't quite read. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

He opened his mouth to respond but closed it again.

Eiwa furrowed her brows at this. "Is there something on my face?"

"I wasn't looking at you," Neteyam rolled his eyes. "I was just thinking."

"Thinking about what brother?" Lo'ak joined the two, taking a seat beside his brother. He noticed that Eiwa was looking behind him as if she was expecting someone and said, "Kiri and Tuk are out hunting with Mum."

"I see," Eiwa nodded and smiled at his explanation. "Can you teach me how to hunt?"

Lo'ak replied, "Of course."

For some reason he could not understand, Neteyam felt rather annoyed.

"Could we start today?" Eiwa beamed.

"Maybe tomorrow?" Lo'ak gave her an apologetic smile. "I'm still grounded."

Eiwa nodded, "Tomorrow sounds great. Why are you grounded?"

"The good old rule-breaking and getting my brother hurt," Lo'ak sighed. "Why don't you teach her today brother?"

Eiwa quickly interrupted before Neteyam could respond, "I don't think he's wants to–"

"Sure," Neteyam cut her off. "Perhaps we could go flying. It's the most exciting way to hunt." He turned his gaze towards Eiwa who scoffed, realizing why he had looked at her the way he did earlier.

Lo'ak chuckled, "Or start with a direhorse first."

"Oh, no it's fine," Eiwa replied to his remark, though she was looking at Neteyam. A smirk on her face.

"Yeah, she'll definitely be fine." He returned her smirk with his own, a challenging tone in his voice.

Neteyam and Eiwa finished their lunch first, leaving Lo'ak on his own as they left for the hunting ground. They stopped by the hunting supply area first. Neteyam took a set of bow and arrows for himself, before taking a nice hunting rifle for Eiwa.

"I'll take the bow and arrows," Eiwa said.

Neteyam raised an eyebrow, "You sure?"

Eiwa nodded.

"You know how to use it?"

"Would I ask you for it if I don't know how to use it?" Eiwa rolled her eyes at him. He was clearly underestimating her.