28. Save the Tulkuns!

"I'm gonna fight them all

A seven nation army couldn't hold me back."

Neteyam's POV

It has been two days since the village burned down. Many were still mourning for the losses that had been caused, and some feel guilty for what they didn't do.

I watched her stand against the frame of our partially-destroyed cot. The family was moved to another cot with a smaller size that could not fit all of us. Eiwa and I decided to share this cot. Despite its beaten structure, it could still be used. The walls were still in good shape even though half of the roof was gone.

No one seemed to question our willingness to share the beaten up space as they all have more important things to worry about. Kiri was an exception though. She had interrogated us just the other day.

"Eiwa."

She looked back. She looks sad. Beautiful, still. But sad. "Is it time for dinner?"

I didn't even get to answer before she turned and walked to exit the cot. Just as she walked past me, I caught her arm that had somehow become thinner in the matter of two days. "Eiwa."

She looked up. I saw how her gorgeous eyes were hiding beneath her blank gaze. "Hm?"

I knew there was no point asking her whether or not she was alright. None of us are alright, so I pulled her close and hugged her. Slowly but surely, I felt her arms around me too. I would usually feel warm, but she feels so cold. "Are you cold?"

"Do I feel cold?" she pulled away.

"A little," I told her. "Let me check again." I gently placed my hand on her forehead. Then her neck.

"I personally don't feel cold," Eiwa swallowed as I examined her. I could feel her shifting slightly under my touch. Eywa, I hate myself for thinking of something like that in a situation like this.

"You're not dizzy? Or anything?" I asked her, trying to keep focus.

"No." Eiwa exhaled rather heavily as I lifted my hands off of her skin.

We were barely touching, but our faces moved closer and closer to each other. Soon enough our lips connected. We kissed before. Many times. But this one felt different. It somehow felt more meaningful. It was slow and soft and very much needed.

Slowly, I placed a hand on her back and pulled her closer. Both her hands were now sitting on my chest. She moaned softly as she leaned closer towards me, and I felt the tear that had managed to escape her eyes. I pulled away to check on her but she pulled me in again before I could do anything else. She kissed me again, deeper this time. It was as if she was looking for something. Her arms snaked the way up around my neck as I picked her up, our lips still connecting. We only broke apart when we needed air.

The rest of it was ours to keep.

We cuddled and stayed together for a little while after that before I heard noises from outside. I saw that Eiwa was already peacefully sleeping on my chest. Our breaths are in sync. I slowly tried to get up without waking her up but she pulled me in again. "Just a little bit longer."

I smiled and kissed the top of her head. "Alright. But we can't skip dinner again."

Eiwa responded with a slight nod as she snuggled back into my arms.