27. As If It's Our Last

"I swear that I'll be yours forever,

till forever falls apart."

Eiwa's POV

"Although it pains me knowing how many more of my children will die in the hands of yours, I accept your apology. Truly."

"Thank you. I have one more thing I need to say before I go. You may think that I have no shame asking you this, but please... Please take care of her."

"Those children of yours who respect my children will not perish. I promise that. And I will take care of her, even if you had not asked me to."

I sat up, all sweaty and gasping for air. It was another one. Another vision from that incident. What does it mean that more of Eywa's children will die? Will there be another big war? Have Quaritch tracked them down? Most importantly, who will die? I looked over to my side, finding Neteyam sleeping peacefully, his lips almost forming a small smile. Then I looked over to my other side, Kiri's chest heaved up and down with the rhythm of her calm breath. I can't let them die. I can't let anyone die.

Quietly, I got up and went outside for air. It was still night time as the stars were still bright. Then I looked up and prayed. "Great Mother, I know you're listening. I just want you to know that I would give my soul and life away as long as you protect them. If possible, please protect everyone. Please..."

Without realizing I was tearing up, out of fear and worry. One thing was clear though. I was going to treat everyone as best as I could, make the best of our time together.

"Eiwa?"

I turned around to find Neteyam sleepily standing between the entrance of the cot, rubbing his eyes. I quickly looked away and wiped my tears. I didn't want him to know that I was crying.

"Are you okay?" I felt his footsteps going towards me.

I nodded and smiled, "Yeah. Just... Insomnia."

Neteyam furrowed his brows. "You're a fantastic liar, but I'm not buying it. Tell me. What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I told him, but he threw me a 'seriously?' type of look. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Alright, that's fine," Neteyam nodded in understanding as he took my hand. "Just know that I'm here if you want to talk about it. Though is there something I could do now to make you feel better?"

"A hug would be nice," I smiled weakly. Neteyam did not hesitate or wait to wrap me around with his warmth, adding a kiss on my head. I breathed in his scent and hugged him in a way I've never hugged him before. We stayed like that for a while.

"I want to tell you something," Neteyam said just above a whisper as I felt my heels start to hurt.

"Hm?"

"I love you, Eiwa."

My heart stopped at those words as I pulled away in shock.

"It might be too early to say that, so I don't expect you to say it back," he smiled softly. "I just want you to know that I will love you, always. Till my death I will love you. Even after death I will continue loving you. I love you so much I'm beginning to think that there must be a special word for it just for you."