17. Big Brother

"Your lips, my lips.
Apocalypse."

Eiwa's POV

Everything was sort of hazy. Next thing I know Neteyam had left with Ao'nung, and I was just there standing. All flustered and in complete euphoria over what had just happened. I cupped my own face to cool off the heat I was feeling there. I simpered as realization struck me. Neteyam, you really don't know what you're doing to me.

I thought romance is not my cup of tea. Guess I couldn't have been more wrong. The RDA was basically a loveless environment for a child to grow up in, and although I knew I wasn't like them, I never thought I would be able to feel something so much. Something like this. So true and— I can't even think of words to describe what I was feeling. But I liked it. I like this feeling.

A distant commotion brought me back to reality. Lo'ak. I walked towards the source of the sound of worries, to find about half of the Metkayina clan and the Sullys heading towards the water. A number of them brought a torch with them. The sky was getting darker. I approached Kiri, who was in the corner of the crowd. She had her hands crossed.

I ran to her, "Kiri! They haven't found him yet?"

Kiri furrowed her brows and shook her head, "No."

I bit my lips, "Are they going to look after him in the waters?"

"Yes but only around the beach," Kiri answered, worry in her voice. "It's too dark and risky to go out of the reef this late. We're all just hoping he'll show up himself."

"He showed up himself," I said as I saw Lo'ak climb over a rock and waved at the crowd from behind her.

"What?"

I pointed at Lo'ak's silhouette, prompting her to turn around.

Kiri rolled her eyes, "He's such a troubleseeker."

I chuckled, "Sure is."

We watched as Jake went on his skimwing and picked Lo'ak up from the rock.

"He's in so much trouble," Kiri sighed. "He says he wants to be a good son, but always gets himself in situations like this."

Over the past two months, I noticed that Jake is very hard on his sons. Many people think he's hard on Lo'ak the most, but really Neteyam and Lo'ak receives the same pressure from him. It's just that the two brothers seem to have two very different personalities. It's just easier for Neteyam to obey and follow the rules around.

Jake and Lo'ak came up to land. Tonowari also brought Ao'nung to see them. They had a short conversation before Jake walked away with his two boys. Neytiri and Tuk followed behind.

"I don't want to go with them," Kiri turned to me. "But I think I need to—"

"Say no more," I smiled.

Kiri returned my smile with an apologetic one before catching up with her family. The crowd dispersed, when I spotted Ao'nung sitting alone in one of the huts. I decided to talk to him. It's been two months, and he hasn't warmed up to us yet. It's annoying really, but I figured he just needed more time. Or maybe just a nice little chat with one of us.

It was only until I sat myself beside him that he noticed my presence. "How do you feel now?" I asked him.

"What do you want, Eiwa?" Ao'nung rolled his eyes.

"I want you to warm up to the Sullys and I," I told him. "It's been two months, Ao'nung. And you've been a pain for us all. I would've cussed and beat you up for what you did today, but I figured it would not be effective."

"You can just beat me up if you want," he said.

"No thanks," I rejected the offer. "I'd rather save my energy for something more important."

Ao'nung looked down in shame.

"I hope you're feeling guilty," I said to him.

He clenched his jaw, "I should be."

I smiled and stood up to my feet, "I guess I don't need to say as many things I'd thought I needed." 

"I'm sorry if I did or said anything bad to you too," he apologized.

I nodded, "I look forward to being your friend, Ao'nung."

He smiled, "Likewise."

I turned around to leave before realizing that I forgot to say one more thing, "Also, please keep whatever you saw earlier to yourself."

"Course. It's the least I could do," he made a tight-lipped smile.

__________

After walking around to occupy my time, I found Neteyam sitting on a lonely rock near the waters. I decided to approach him slowly.

"Hey."

"Hey," he replied while he shifted himself to the side and made some space. "Sorry. I know I'd said—"

I gave him a small smile, "Relax, 'Tey. We've got all the time in the world."

He bit the bottom of his lips to suppress a smile. Though I could tell something was wrong. Before I could ask, he had already begun speaking. "I should've kept an eye on him."

"You're blaming yourself again," I pointed out. We had a conversation about this before after I noticed that he likes to blame things on himself.

"Sorry, I— I just know I could've prevented it from happening if I had listened to my dad and took care of him. It's my job to watch over my siblings. I'm the big brother."

"You know what I learnt from my 17 years of being an only child?" I asked him after a moment of silence. "I managed to pick up the art of selfishness."

"Art of selfishness?" He raised both eyebrows in disbelief.

"Being selfish may sound bad," I began. "But sometimes, it is needed."

"So you're saying I need to be selfish?" Neteyam questioned.

"Just a little selfish in some situations." I held his hand in mine. "Life is too short for you to spend it on worrying about others."

"Can I be selfish now?"

"What do you mea—"

Neteyam leaned in and pressed his lips against mine. "Or do you consider this selfless?"

He kissed me again, but this time it lasted longer.