19. Tell Me

"I wonder if they'll even know that we're gone

I just wanna be alone with you."

Eiwa's POV

Yesterday was something. I could still feel my heart beat faster thinking about it. I have a boyfriend? It sounds kind of weird, but I'll get used to it.

"Eiwa!" Tuk called, waving a hand towards me. Her other hand was holding onto Neteyam, who was carrying her in his arms to prevent her from being buried in the water. He smiled at me once our eyes met.

I waved back and began walking towards them as the rest began to come into view as well.

"You're awfully late," Tsireya pointed out.

I smiled apologetically, "Sorry."

As Tsireya was about to say something Ao'nung interrupted with a clap, "Right then. Let's begin today's lesson since everybody is here already."

I caught Tsireya eyeing her brother suspiciously, finding his enthusiasm rather unusual. My eyes shifted back to Neteyam as he and Tuk were conversing in whispers. It's adorable, really. He'll definitely be a great dad. Somehow I felt confident that I would be able to see him be one for our child. "Fuck," I shut my eyes and muttered underneath my breath. What was I thinking? A child? I'm definitely too ahead of myself. Is this what happens when one gets into a relationship?

"You okay?" Neteyam asked. I didn't even realize he was already standing beside me.

I nodded in response as I found myself not being able to say anything.

Once the day's lesson was over, we all gathered and hung around on a rock, including Ao'nung. He has been quite nice today. Lo'ak was now talking about a certain friend he had made the day before while we were all worried to death. Payakan was its name.

"Payakan?" Rotxo scoffed. "Are you sure, Reya?"

"It must be," Tsireya furrowed her brows, and said it with a hint of worry in her voice.

"Or not," Ao'nung said. "Because if it really was Payakan, Lo'ak wouldn't have come back. He'd probably be in Payakan's stoma—"

"You said one of its fins is chopped off?" Tsireya ignored her brother.

"One of the left ones," Lo'ak answered hesitantly, unsure why all the Metkayina kids are reacting the way they are. "It has also got an old rusty harpoon through its right fin. And a scar near its eye."

Ao'nung raised his eyebrows in defeat, "Well, I guess I'm wrong. But how?"

"How what?" Lo'ak rolled his eyes. "I already told you all the story."

"He's a killer Tulkun," Tsireya finally revealed. "That's why he's an outcast. No Tulkun is ever alone, except for him."

"What?" Lo'ak blurted.

"He killed other Tulkuns," Rotxo told us.

Kiri's neutral expression turned into a worried one, "Here?"

"No," Rotxo shook his head. "Far to the south."

Lo'ak shook his head in denial, "No. He's my friend. I'm telling you. He saved my life."

Neteyam stood up and placed both hands on Lo'ak shoulders and squeezed it playfully, "My baby brother, a mighty warrior who faced the killer Tulkun and lives to speak about it." Lo'ak rolled his eyes in annoyance and pushed his older brother away, who finally made his way to sit beside me, as Tuk had moved to sit with Kiri.

"None of you are listening," Lo'ak groaned in annoyance as he got up on his feet to walk away from the group.

"I– I'm listening!" Tuk shouted, but Lo'ak didn't turn back.

I noticed Neteyam was about to stand again and decided to put a hand on his knee. His eyes went to my hands then to my eyes. I shook my head softly and gave him a small smile which I hope he finds assuring.

After Lo'ak went away, the group began to disperse. Tsireya was the first to go after being clearly upset over what had just happened. Ao'nung was called to help with something by his mother, while Rotxa and Kiri conversed with each other. I could see Tuk was asleep on her lap.

Neteyam seems to have seen his youngest sister asleep as well. "I'll take her to the cot."

"I'll come with you." I followed Neteyam as we walked quietly to the cot, afraid that any noise would wake Tuk up. Neteyam carried her in his arms, letting her head rest on the crook of his neck. I watched as Neteyam gently stroked her hair whenever she moved in her sleep. He is such a good brother. I don't understand why he can't see that in himself.

It was quite unfortunate that the sweet sight had to end. The cot was empty, so Neteyam and I decided to stay with Tuk until she woke up. Or until someone else can keep an eye on her. Neteyam gave Tuk a light kiss on the forehead before joining me on the outside of the cot, near the entrance, in which I hoped it would be far enough that our voice wouldn't disturb Tuk.

"You sure you don't wanna join the others?" Neteyam asked as he sat beside me.

I shook my head and smiled, "I don't think any of them want me to join them."

"What do you mean?"

"C'mon you know Lo'ak and Tsireya probably want time alone." I placed my feet in the water. "Rotxo and Kiri seem to enjoy each other's company as well, if you know what I mean." I raised an eyebrow knowingly at him.

"What?" Neteyam frowned. "Rotxo and my sister?!"

"Shh! Keep your voice down," I rolled my eyes. "Yes. And you should not have a problem with that."

"Oh I have a problem with that alright," he said frustratingly. "Did you forget how he insulted and made fun of her just yesterday."

"It was Ao'nung," I corrected. "Rotxo has actually been nice since we arrived."

"Not nice enough to realise that leaving Lo'ak alone out of the reef wasn't so nice," he mumbled.

"At least they learned a lesson yesterday," I said.

"They better, or I'll be sure to—-" I cut his words off with my lips. It was only a quick peck simply because I found him quite adorable at the moment.

"Sorry. You may continue," I smiled.

"What I was saying again?" Neteyam watched me.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "You tell me."

I could feel him getting closer and closer to me before the both of us mutually agreed to connect our lips. I guess we both liked the feeling of each other's lips. Neteyam grabbed the side of my face as his kiss intensified. Soon enough I was leaning on the wall of the cot, with both my hands around his neck. It was also then that I snapped into reality and pushed him away.

Neteyam was visibly disappointed. "What–"

"We're outside," I looked around worriedly.

He groaned, "We were outside last night as well."

I threw him one of my 'seriously?' looks which was enough to make him return to where he was before. Then, out of nowhere, he decided to jump down into the water and pulled me in with him.

"Neteyam!" I whisper-yelled at him.

"Oops." He faked an apologetic smile before swimming away as I splashed the watter at him. It soon turned into a water fight, before the both of us got tired and rested on the shallow part of the beach. We were silent. Still. At peace.

I laid my head on his shoulder. "Eiwa," he called suddenly.

"Hm?"

"Tell me."

"Tell you what?"

"About yourself.'