9. Uturu

"Run, run, don't trail behind. Keep moving.

The beasts won't stop 'til we're dead."

Third person POV

After what seemed like days of being in the air through storms and sunny weather, they finally spotted a village ahead. Tuk, who had been fussy since last night, beamed at the sight as she began pointing at it. Neteyam and Lo'ak laughed at something one of them said, while Jake sighed in relief that the long journey would end soon. Kiri and Eiwa exchanged tired looks with each other.

"I'm going to have the best sleep of my life once we land," Kiri said as she got her Ikran to fly beside Etyan.

"That makes the two of us," Eiwa remarked.

Once they reached the shore, they went off the Ikrans. "Guide the others and make sure not to make any fuss," Jake told his Ikran, who nodded in response. He then gestured towards the rest to stick together and stay close.

It was then that the local Na'vis began to surround them, muttering inaudible things about the newcomers. Neteyam and Lo'ak shared a glance with Kiri and Eiwa who were standing behind them. Then someone went up from the waters, silencing everyone. It was a man with Tā Moko all over his face and a woman who looked like the Tsahik of the clan. "Tonowari," Jake and Neytiri greeted the two the way Eiwa had greeted them on her first day, prompting the rest to follow suit. They continued to greet the rest of the Metkayina clan as well. "I see you, Ronal." Jake greeted Ronal again.

"Why do you come to us, Jake Sully?" Tonowari asked after his wife gave him a glare.

Jake raised his arms and said, "We seek refuge." Uturu.

"Refuge?" Tonowari furrowed his brow. "But you are forest people, we are reef people. Why?"

"I need to protect my family," Jake replied. 

"And put others at risk?" Ronal muttered as she stepped forward towards them. She continued to walk around and examined the newcomers. Ronal grabbed Neteyam's tail and told everyone that it would be weak. Then she touched Kiri's arm and said the same thing as well, before she noticed her hands. "They're not even real Na'vis!" Ronal snarled. She moved onto Lo'ak and took a look at his hands too.

"Hey, hey!" Jake quickly interrupted her before she could do anything else. "Look!" He raised both his hands.

Ronal glared at him before returning to her husband's side, nose flaring with disagreement.

"My husband was Toruk Makto," Neytiri suddenly declared, walking slowly towards Ronal. "He was a great warrior who defeated the sky people. He led us to victory."

Ronal scoffed, "You call this victory?"

Jake and Tonowari shared an uncomfortable glance before mentally agreeing to stop whatever it was happening between their wives.

"I'm sorry—" Jake started.

"Don't apologise for me, Jake," Neytiri interrupted.

Jake gently prevented her from getting closer to Ronal again, "My wife is very tired from the journey."

Tonowari also pulled his wife back and whispered something in her ear as she kept her glare at them. She rolled her eyes before calming herself down and began to nod slowly.

On the other hand, Lo'ak was busy staring at a certain girl from the clan. She seemed to have scolded the two boys who had been making fun of the 'forest people' before sending him an apologetic smile. Kiri and Eiwa noticed the encounter and turned to each other, both trying not to smile.

"Alright," Ronal agreed with her husband at last, before she turned her gaze at her daughter, who ended up being the girl Lo'ak was eyeing, and son. "Ao'nung. Tsireya. Bring them to our guest cot," she ordered them. "They'll be with us for now. You can help the kids to learn our ways and become useful."

Jake thanked her and sent an appreciative smile towards Tonowari who returned it with his own. Neytiri forced a smile towards the Olo'eyktan and Tsahik of the clan. The rest of the Sullys and Eiwa bowed their heads in unison to show their respect as well.

"Come," Tsireya approached us. "I'm Tsireya by the way. And this is my brother, Ao'nung." She smiled as she pulled her brother back beside her after his attempt to leave. "We'll show you to your cot. I assume you're all tired after the journey and are in need of some rest."

Tsireya and Ao'nung led them to their cot, located further in the island, but still near the ocean. Kiri and Eiwa were in awe of their new surroundings. Eiwa had not even gotten over the wonders of the forest yet, but here she is amazed once again by the beauty of Pandora.

"I've never seen the ocean floor," Kiri revealed to her, her voice dreamy as she kept her gaze to the sand.

"Neither have I," Eiwa said, though her eyes were fixed on the boy walking in front of her. The direct sunlight had somehow enhanced how he looked. 'Had Neteyam always looked this good?' she asked herself silently. But she brushed it off, blaming the new atmosphere for making her see weird things. Eiwa then distracted herself by looking at the clear water beneath the platform she was walking on. Awa'atlu was really beyond beautiful.

Kiri turned to her, beaming, "I think I'm going to like this place."

Eiwa couldn't help but agree as they arrived at their cot. Their new home. Her new home. It is not big, but it certainly provided enough space.

"Please have some rest," Tsireya said kindly. "I'll come and call all of you for dinner." She sneaked a glance at the younger son in the Sully family before leaving with a smile as she caught him staring at her already.

Jake placed their belongings on the ground, while the rest looked around. Tuk had immediately picked a spot for herself, which was near the back entrance of the cot that overlooks the sea.

"You girls can have this area then," Neytiri told Kiri and Eiwa, pointing at the space beside Tuk's. "You boys can go near the door."

Lo'ak groaned, "Why do we always get the door?"

Neteyam patted him on the back, "Just listen to Mom, brother."

With the circular shape of the cot, Eiwa and Neteyam's spots ended up being side by side. Kiri's was on Eiwa's other side. Beside Kiri would be Tuk. And Neteyam's other side was Lo'ak, nearest to the entrance. The other side of the cot was for Jake and Neytiri, with the rest of the cot being the living space.

One by one, they drifted off to sleep.