10. Start on Zero

"After all, we're only kids
And this feeling is so new."

Eiwa's POV

I groaned as the sounds of the waves woke me up from my sleep. It was warm. A bit too warm, as if it came from— I opened my eyes as quickly as possible to find myself resting on someone's chest, and an arm wrapped around me. Neteyam. I sat up and separated myself from him without considering that he is most likely still asleep.

Neteyam only stirred in response as he rolled over to the other side. For some reason, I felt my body getting even warmer now. What is going on? I looked around to find that the cot was practically empty besides Neteyam and myself. I cringed at the thought that the rest of the Sullys might have seen Neteyam and I. "Bastard," I kicked his foot, which did not happen to be enough to wake him up. Now I have to carry the shame alone.

With hopes that no one saw us earlier and that I was not too late yet for breakfast, I walked towards the place we had dinner at last night. I found Kiri, Lo'ak, Tuk and Tsireya on the corner and decided to approach them.

"Good morning," I greeted casually.

Only Tsireya responded while Lo'ak, Kiri and Tuk exchanged knowing looks.

I tried my best to act normal throughout the entirety of breakfast and it seemed to do the trick. At least until Tsireya left to get Ao'nung.

"Slept well?" Kiri asked knowingly.

I nodded, trying to keep my eyes on my food.

"I'm sure Neteyam's chest was very comfortable," Lo'ak grinned.

I ignored them and continued to eat.

"She's ignoring us," Lo'ak pointed out.

"Look, it was unintentional," I finally said.

"What is unintentional?" A voice came from behind us. One that belonged to the devil we were speaking about.

"The— the food is unintentionally good," I quickly answered before Kiri or Lo'ak can say anything else.

Kiri and Lo'ak shared a look, while Neteyam furrowed his brow in confusion as he sat beside me. "Is that even supposed to make any sense?"

"Shut up and eat," I shoved some food into his mouth.

Neteyam looked at his siblings with his stuffed mouth and raised his brow at them as if saying 'What's up with her?'

Lo'ak and Kiri only shrugged, but Tuk suddenly said, "Eiwa thinks your chest is comfortable."

I widened my eyes at Tuk. She's cute but she can be a blabbermouth sometimes. "No, Tuk. I do not think Neteyam's chest is comfortable. Lo'ak did."

Lo'ak and Kiri were laughing hard now. Though Lo'ak stopped once Kiri began hitting him on the shoulder.

"Why would you even talk about my chest?" Neteyam turned to Lo'ak.

"Because Eiwa had most likely enjoyed—" Lo'ak's attempt to respond was prevented by a piece of fish that I had also shoved quickly into his mouth.

I forcefully smiled at Neteyam who furrowed his brow even more at me, "What? The fish is super good. I just wanted to share."

It was then that Tsireya, Ao'nung and another boy reached us.

"Are you guys ready?" Tsireya asked excitedly. "This is Rotxo by the way. He'll also be helping you. If he does anything else," she turned to Rotxo and raised her brow, "Be sure to tell me."