11. Insomnia

"Dream on, but don't imagine they'll all come true."

Third person POV

It was the night after the Sullys and Eiwa's first lesson, which was pretty eventful for the most part.

Lo'ak seemed to have gotten closer to Tsireya, sitting together without anyone else during dinner. The adults also seemed to have bonded through the day. Ronal no longer has that look on her face that clearly shows distaste, she even smiled at Eiwa earlier. Neytiri and her had most likely cooled it off too, they were laughing at something together during dinner. Even Kiri, Tuk and Rotxo managed to sort of be friends.

The Sullys and Eiwa returned to their cot after dinner ended. They found Neytiri and Tuk already asleep. Tuk was a little tired as she got rather whiny after she ate. Neytiri noticed and excused herself and her youngest daughter earlier. The mother had her arms around her baby as their calm breath filled the air.

The others who just came tried their best to keep quiet. As the teens were arranging themselves, Jake gave a quick and gentle kiss on Neytiri's shoulders and Tuk's forehead. He laid down beside her and joined their cuddle. Neytiri shifted towards him in her sleep, Tuk still in between them.

It wasn't long after that Lo'ak soft snores were heard throughout the cot. He was the only one who snored. Kiri and Eiwa talked in whispers for a while before deciding to call it a night. Unlike Kiri, Eiwa did not sleep too quickly. So when Neteyam left the cot, she noticed and followed.

"Where are you going?" she asked once she was out of the cot.

Neteyam turned around in surprise. He was only a few steps ahead. "I thought you're asleep."

"Couldn't," Eiwa simply shrugged.

"Same here," Neteyam said with a tight lipped smile. "That's why I'm going on a walk."

"At night?"

"I do it all the time when I was in the forest," he calmly explained. "Walks help me keep my mind off things. Once I have nothing to think about, I'll sleep."

"Were you also out last night?" Eiwa asked again. Curiosity consuming her. Perhaps that was why he had woken up late this morning.

He nodded for a bit before stopping at a memory from yesterday night.

Neteyam had just come back from his night walk. The beach was beautifully glowing in the dark, though he missed the forest's nights. He sighed as he lowered himself to sit in his area. He looked to his side, where Eiwa seemed to be in a deep slumber.

He watched the moonlight pass through the ratan walls of the cot, kissing her skin and lighting her face. She was beautiful and calm. He'd noticed that Eiwa was pretty since the first day they met. Though it was just that.

It felt rather different now, he wasn't sure what, but something has changed. That was certain. Neteyam suspected himself of beginning to see her as a friendlier friend? Which he believes made no sense. Friends are supposed to be friendly, so why does Eiwa make him feel whatever it is he was feeling when she was just being friendly.

Neteyam laid down, his hands under his head. He was being his usual self, thinking all the time when something warm touched his body. His breath hitched, realizing that it was Eiwa. She was still asleep, that was for sure. Eiwa had an arm over his torso, her face close to his chest. Neteyam could smell the sweet and beachy scent of her hair. He froze, not knowing what to do. Trying to control his heartbeat, he took slow and deep breaths, which became pointless since the next second his heart pounded again. Eiwa snuggled closer to him, placing a leg above his leg. Neteyam closed his eyes. "What have I gotten into?" he whispered under his breath. He swore he wouldn't sleep, but even people with insomnia still need sleep.