16. Just Great

"Put your hand in mine
You know that I want to be with you all the time."

Third person POV

Eiwa and Neteyam continued to spend the rest of the day together, doing whatever it was they could do. Without realizing, the horizon had changed colors. And the air began to feel a little too hot for the two friends. They had just finished a conversation, or more of a small argument, about their opposing opinions on whether or not Jake was too hard on Neteyam and Lo'ak. Eiwa thinks he is, while Neteyam had a different point of view on it.

"Look," Eiwa decided to end their war of words between them. "I was just sharing my opinion."

Neteyam sighed, "Maybe he is a little hard on us."

"A little?" Eiwa blurted, before closing her lips again. "Sorry."

"But he's a good dad," Neteyam continued.

Eiwa nodded understandingly, "I don't have one, but I'm sure he is. With how you came out to be, it is obvious he had raised you right."

Neteyam gave her a small smile, "You know it could've been my mom right?"

She rolled her eyes playfully, "I thought that's what you wanted me to think."

Neteyam chuckled, "Touché."

They fell into a comfortable silence and watched the sunset. They were hanging around the more isolated area of the beach, so everything was perfectly peaceful and quiet. Eiwa watched Neteyam for a while. "Does anyone ever tell you that you look beautiful?" she asked him, a small smile on her face.

Neteyam turned to her and smirked, "Yes."

Eiwa scoffed though a smile was on her face, "I should've humbled you then."

"You're beautiful too, Eiwa," Neteyam said as he kept his gaze on her.

"You don't have to compliment me, just because I compliment—"

Neteyam shushed her by taking her hand and held it on his own, "I mean it. You're beautiful."

Eiwa breathed in as she avoided his eyes, "Thank you, then."

"I've wanted to say that for a while now," Neteyam admitted out loud.

Eiwa was happy to hear things like that come out of his mouth, but she wanted more. She has been waiting for him to say something that could allow her to act upon her feelings for him. A feeling she had only accepted a few nights ago when she caught herself smiling at the thought of a future with him. But the wait had already felt too long. She looked up at Neteyam, "Is that all you want to say? Nothing else?" Her voice was genuine and pure, and most of all. She was hopeful.

And so was Neteyam. He smiled at her, "No, that certainly is not all. There's another thing, though I'd rather express it with something else other than words. But I need to know if you want the same thing—"

Eiwa stopped his words with her lips. It had certainly caught Neteyam in surprise as he suddenly forgot how to move for a second, but he was quick to return her kiss with his own. He leaned closer and closer towards her as she placed a hand on his chest. The kiss was no longer as light as how it started. "I want the same thing," Eiwa said breathily once they separated.

"In that case—" Neteyam pulled her closer to him and kissed her deeply. He rested his hands on her waist and gently moved them up and down her back, while he explored her sweet lips and mouth.

Eiwa moaned softly as she wrapped her arms around Neteyam's neck, who only tightened his grip on her in response. Neteyam was about to lift her up, when they both sensed a third party around. Great. Just great. They thought.

Neteyam groaned in annoyance, though he still had his arm around Eiwa who rested her forehead on his chest out of embarrassment that they had gotten caught. "What is it, Ao'nung?" Neteyam asked once he saw who it was.

Ao'nung began rambling about his friends and him bringing Lo'ak out of the reef as a joke. His story went back and forth, making it confusing for Eiwa and Neteyam to understand.

"So what is your point?" Neteyam furrowed his brows. "You're not saying Lo'ak is out there alone at this hour right?"

Ao'nung visibly gulped.

"You've got to be kidding me," Neteyam closed his eyes in frustration before going over to Ao'nung and pulled one of his ears, planning to drag him to the cot that way. He then turned to Eiwa for a while and said, "I'll make it up to you. Promise."