Chapter 3

Her family. Her friends. Were. All. In. Danger.

No.

Everything was blurry and dark in Sophie's head. The monster lurked and prepared to spring-

Everything was in turmoil-

There were voices shouting at her. Telling her to get up.

And then...

She was back as Physical Sophie. She was lying on the ground. Her face was wet. Her friends' concerned faces stared down at her.

Elysian held a sphere of water. She'd probably splashed some into her face when she'd...

"Sophie, are you alright?" Flori asked. "You... fainted."

Sophie sighed and forced herself up to her feet. Her friends immediately spread out to give her space.

She leaned down and whispered, "Tell me everything that you know."

Flori blinked away tears before whispering back, "In the middle of the night, Grady and Edaline were worried because you'd been gone for so long. I told them I'd check Wylie and Prentice's home because that's where you went with Fitz. When I got there, nobody was home."

Everyone gasped. "Nobody? Tiergan... and Prentice... and Wylie... what?" Sophie whispered.

Flori closed her eyes for a long moment before she replied, "Gone. There was evidence that they'd been kidnapped."

Again.

Wylie didn't deserve it again. Neither did Tiergan or Prentice.

Sophie's blood ran cold, and she started shivering, and then a small blue breeze swept into her head, calming everything down.

There were a pair of strong arms around her, and she lifted her head to see Keefe. He had her in a protective hug, and his expression was so worried and caring that her heart almost melted.

She heard Flori's voice in her ear. "I'm so sorry, Sophie. Should I stop?"

Through the tears, Sophie couldn't see anything but vague shapes. And darkness. She shook her head, and somehow found the voice to say, "Keep going."

Flori sighed. "I went to Everglen. Nobody was there. I really started worrying, and then I ran back to Havenfield. Your parents had restrained the gorgodon and were panicking because you were gone. Then, the Neverseen came. They had trolls with them... Lady Gisela was there, as well as a guy who could control the wind. Grady and Edaline were trying to protect the animals while fending off the Neverseen. Grady tried mesmerizing them but failed. The alicorns teleported away in alarm. So many animals escaped. The house caught fire."

Flori started weeping quietly. "They even t-tried to burn Calla, but the gnomes fought back. So they gave up trying." She tried to smile, but it came out as a grimace.

"I should have fought with them," she murmured. "Calla would have wanted me to-"

"She would have wanted you to be safe," Sophie reminded her. "And wait- how did you get here?"

Flori wiped her eyes. "Edaline told me to reach you... Before I left, though, I heard Lady Gisela saying that there were more people to be found. So hopefully, some of your friends are still free and are in hiding, or on the run. I knew I needed to get away quickly before the trolls found me. I remembered what Nubiti taught me about tunnels, so I told the earth I needed to find you. And here I am."

"Did anyone die?" Sophie asked, needing to know the answer.

Flori flinched. She turned very, very pale and more tears leaked out of her eyes. She started trembling and said, "Before I left, Edaline-"