Chapter 29

The first thing Sophie felt was shock at Lady Gisela's words.

She searched for a clue in Elysian's eyes. She saw regret, devastation, and guilt in the azure irises.

Elysian stared at her desperately, trying to communicate silently.

Sophie looked away and observed Keefe's reaction.

And somehow...

His face was pale, but it was streaked with horrified familiarity.

As if this was all something that they had known.

It pained Sophie more than she could bear.

She willed them with all her heart to talk to her. She needed an explanation.

"Ah, so you knew as well," Lady Gisela said, studying her son's face intently. "I was wondering why you weren't as rebellious. It turns out you've come to accept your future."

She turned to face Sophie, and the sickening feeling in her feeling only grew more horrible.

"They didn't tell you this, did they?" Lady Gisela asked, her eyes boring into hers. "Must be so disappointing being left out."

Keefe, Sophie begged. Is this true? Please talk to me.

He didn't respond or give any response that he had heard her.

And he wouldn't look at her.

Sophie choked back her sob.

I'm sorry, Sophie, Elysian transmitted. I knew. And somehow, he knew as well.

She didn't describe how.

"Interesting," Lady Gisela mused as she stared between her and Keefe.

Sophie shivered as a gust of frigid wind swept by.

"It's interesting that you didn't tell Sophie," Lady Gisela said, staring at Keefe. "Elysian told you, didn't she? Or have you always known?"

The tension between all of them was a confirmation. And it was tearing Sophie apart.

"Would you help Keefe with the transformation and give him a life?" Lady Gisela asked. "Or will you let him die and face the consequences?"

"I've felt pain before," Elysian replied. Lady Gisela's eyes narrowed.

Sophie suddenly realized that she could speak.

"Wait- you have a choice?" Sophie asked. "Lady Gisela and whoever's controlling us can't force you to?"

"Yes, and you don't want to admit it, do you?" Elysian said with a smile at Lady Gisela. "The power of esylune is mine. Even if you make me face the most horrible of torture, I will still have the decision."

"Interesting," Lady Gisela said, but for the first time... she looked uncertain. Nervous. "So what will it be?"

Elysian hesitated as she looked between Sophie and Keefe. "I feel like this shouldn't be my decision. It's also yours, Keefe."

Keefe's eyes narrowed, and Sophie could tell they were communicating telepathically.

Elysian's brow furrowed and beads of sweat appeared on her face.

She looked pale.

When Sophie's mind tried to connect with theirs, she ran straight into a huge barrier.

What were they hiding?

Sophie counted every second in silence as she and her friends watched.