Chapter 20

Sophie felt herself go numb as the reality sunk in. But there was so much she didn't understand; so many vital pieces she had yet to find. 

The abyss. 

The words reverberated in her head.

What secrets did it hide? 

What lurked in the unearthly chasm of darkness? 

What or who was in control? 

Who held all of the power? 

"I know you're probably going to start asking me a bunch of questions," Elysian murmured. "Ones I have probably already asked myself hundreds of times." 

"It's just unsettling to accept that there's a huge dark pit underneath this island and it tries to take over your mind," Rayni said. 

Elysian nodded grimly. 

The silence within the room became suffocating. 

Sophie didn't know what to say. 

"Should we be concerned about losing our minds?" Fitz asked.  

"Probably not. But be wary. If you ever feel it, resist it immediately. It will creep up on you slowly so you won't detect the sensation." 

Flori shuddered.   

"Well, you should all finish eating before you leave," Elysian commented as she observed the plates of spaghetti, most of which weren't finished. "Also, you should think about precisely how you plan to operate. Just going back and hoping to win won't do you any favors." 

Sophie halfheartedly took a plate and took a few bites. 

Memories of her childhood in the Forbidden Cities came back to her. It seemed so long ago that she ate spaghetti with her human family for dinner. 

She hadn't enjoyed it because someone had added a lot of spicy sauce to her plate when her back was turned. 

She pictured Amy's face and hoped that wherever she was, she was safe and well.

Elysian's spaghetti was much better. It would be a significant part of her life, wouldn't it? 

The final meal before she dealt with the Neverseen?

"Also, if you're worried about masking your scent, I have something you can use," Flori said. She retrieved a pale white flower from a pocket and held it out. 

Elysian's eyes lit up. "I forgot about those." 

"What do they do?" Linh asked curiously.

Flori smiled. "They appear like typical flowers, but if you spin them like this..." 

There was a radiant smile on her face as she tossed the flower up in a spiral motion. The flower whirled and twisted in the air...

A sweet aroma filled the air. 

It was as if there was an eruption of lavender, roses, citrus, and vanilla. 

Flori caught the flower deftly and beamed. "Nectarwinds." 

"Perfect for perfumes," Elysian added. "Their scents are rather random, though. This one is particularly nice." 

Sophie inhaled. 

The aroma was soothing.

"Hmm," Bo said. "Not bad. I doubt the trolls will be able to smell us in the midst of this." 

"Way better than what the dwarves gave us," Rayni mumbled. 

"Won't they get a little suspicious of this flower scent?" Wylie asked. "Not that it isn't good."