Chapter 27

Sophie froze as she heard Lady Gisela's sickeningly sweet voice. "I'd not step closer if I were you, Sophie," she said. "You must be very interested to know why." 

Sophie gave her eyes a moment to adjust. 

There were definitely figures in the room. But they were hazy. 

Sophie tightened her grip on Hope as her friends stood next to her, prepared to use their abilities. 

There was a triumph in Lady Gisela's voice as she continued, "You can drop the futile illusions. I knew you were here the instant your little gnome- Flori's her name, isn't it? - smelled the sweet flowers you used to conceal your scent. Her reaction gave away your presence."

Sophie wasn't altogether surprised that Lady Gisela had sensed them. And it was vital to keep her thinking that they were stupid and oblivious... 

Sophie nodded to Tam and Rayni. There was a faint whoosh as the shadows and the light rearranged themselves and they were all completely visible. "So... you're the leader of the Neverseen again, aren't you?" 

Rayni snapped her fingers and the room became flooded with light. 

She stared challengingly at Lady Gisela, who was dressed in a dark black cloak with the Neverseen's eye on it. On top of her head was the familiar ability-blocking headpiece. 

Lady Gisela flinched slightly at the intensity of the light. Then, a smile appeared on her face as she recognized the girl who cast it. "So you are here as well, Rayni. Figured it was about time you joined their side." 

But then, Sophie saw the figures seated in front of her. 

And that almost made her want to cry. 

Elysian, Keefe, Flori, and Dex sat on a row of four chairs. 

But their postures were rigid. As if they were frozen in ice. Their eyes were moving and filled with panic, but they couldn't speak. Or move.

Linh gasped. "What have you done to them?"

Lady Gisela's laughter was like an icy spear. "Let's say I've been recruiting. And also, I'd highly advise you to lower your flames, Marella. And your sword, Sandor. And your daggers, Ro."

If anything, Sandor gripped his sword harder. His voice was harsh in a way that Sophie had rarely heard before. "Let. Them. Go."

Sophie was more focused on the more important question.

"Recruiting... like how you made Dex make those ability-restricting gadgets?" Sophie asked, shoving force into her voice. 

Lady Gisela didn't try to deny it. Her smile only became larger. "Having his family did wonders for his cooperation."

There was such sorrow in Dex's eyes. As if he was trying to apologize. Begging for forgiveness. 

Flori's eyes were wide with terror. 

Elysian's face reflected pain and panic. It was covered with sweat, and Sophie saw in horror that a small circlet, identical to the ones that had been forced onto her parents, was attached to her head. 

Dex... 

Sophie would forgive him. She couldn't blame him for falling victim to one of Lady Gisela's traps. 

She needed to focus her rage on Lady Gisela. 

Her eyes fell on Keefe.

He was staring at her. There was no fire in his eyes. No fight. 

As if... he wanted to just give up and let his mother do whatever she wanted to him. 

She suddenly felt like crying...