Chapter 18

"He's fine," Elysian whispered, closing her bedroom door silently.

Sophie caught a glimpse of Keefe's unconscious form resting on Elysian's bed. Even though he wasn't awake, his face was contorted with emotion.

Sophie didn't know what to feel. A part of her was filled with worry for Keefe. part of her was filled with anguish. Another was angry that Keefe was so unfair.

Either way, she wanted to pretend it was all a nightmare that she could just wake up from.

But she wasn't going to show that in front of all her friends.

She had. To pull. Herself. Together.

"Get a grip," she whispered to herself. She forced herself to stand tall and remain calm. And to shove away all her feelings.

She formed an icy shell around her.

Calm and composed.

She was meant to make objective decisions, right?

She wasn't going to let any feelings stop her.

"Full explanation. Now." Elysian's voice was sharp as she addressed Sophie and Ro.

"It's my fault," Ro stammered, looking chastised. "I read a poem to Hunkyhair and Blondie... and they got... agitated."

"What did you expect to happen?" Sophie asked coldly, furious at Ro.

"Hey, you can't deny your feelings," Ro protested. "I thought it would cheer all of you up. But I guess my timing wasn't great, because there's a lot of tension between you two."

"Feelings?" Sophie returned, shoving every ounce of spite into her voice. "Feelings don't have to do with the fact that you came. And ruined. Everything."

She was glad when Ro flinched.

Good.

"Look, for the billionth time, I'm sorry," Ro said wearily.

Sophie wasn't going to accept her apology yet.

"If you're truly sorry, don't let it happen in the future," Elysian said.

"Does that mean I can't give them the second dare?" Ro complained. Two glares gave her the information she needed.

"Is there any way to wake Keefe up?" Sophie asked Elysian.

Elysian looked tempted to do that, but she shook her head. "Given the hardships he's experienced... I think it's better for him to get some rest before having difficult conversations."

Well. That was the end of that discussion.

Sophie internally groaned. She wanted to tell Keefe what Tam had disclosed, but...

Would he listen?

Would he forgive her?

She probably shouldn't have been worrying about her feelings. Or wanting to cry. She probably should have picked herself up and done something productive.

Biana, Tam, Linh, Wylie, and Fitz were all waiting for her as she walked into the living room and sat stiffly down on a cushion. They all avoided eye contact with Ro.

Sophie glanced out the window.

The sun was sinking below the horizon.

As much as she tried, she couldn't enjoy the view. There was too much going on in her head.

Linh cleared her throat. "Sophie?"

Sophie looked up.

"What are we going to do now?" she asked softly.