Chapter 21

Destruction.

That was all Sophie's brain could process as she stared at the scene before her.

She braced herself during the fleeting moments of the leap, knowing that she would expect to see her home ruined.

But...

She wasn't ready for the sight.

The earth was churned. The grass was charred.

A few trees were knocked over.

The pastures were ruined and empty- all of the animals had escaped.

Calla's Panakes was still standing, but it looked like it took several heavy beatings, as some of its roots had deep cuts.

The house...

A large chunk of it was destroyed. A large slab of rock was in the rubble, presumably the result of a vicious throw.

Should we talk telepathically, just to be safe? Fitz transmitted to her.

Reminding her of the present.

Of her mission. Her end goal.

What was at stake.

Yes.

Sophie's consciousness felt her friends' around her. The dwarves' minds were below her.

She opened all of them with one quick blast and they all became connected. United by a force.

There was discordant chatter from their minds at first, but then they all quieted down.

Alright, everyone, Sophie said to everyone. It's going to be difficult being invisible, especially with so many of us.

It's probably safe to whisper, Sandor said. I can't detect anything.

This is so cool, talking like this! Ro shouted. But Smoochypants is right. I can't detect anything. The Neverseen's scent is faint.

One of the dwarves Elidyr said something in the dwarven tongue that roughly translated to, Agreed. But take caution.

Sophie reached out around her, trying to figure out who was nearby. Her hands bumped into someone, and there was a hiss of alarm. To make it easier for all of us, try sensing the minds around you. That should tell you who's around.

I'm going to check around, Sandor said.

He crept so silently that Sophie didn't notice until his mind felt further away.

Everyone started figuring out who was next to them without talking. Sophie expanded the range from her consciousness and created a mental image of who was where.

When she sent it to everyone, there was a new connection between them all.

A hand bumped into hers.

"Biana?" Sophie asked.

"Yes. This is so cool- I'm still being enhanced, but I'm not even touching you," Biana whispered.

"Same," Wraith added from her right.

The mental energy Elysian sent her must have been the cause of that.

"The Neverseen aren't here," Grizel said from behind. "Their scent is from a day or two ago. There's nobody."

"Hopefully the alicorns are alright," Linh said.

"I'm sure they're all safe in hiding somewhere," Sophie mumbled, trying to convince herself it was true. "They can teleport, so they have an advantage."