Chapter 48

A scream came from someone.

Only after a few seconds of fear did Sophie realize that it was coming from herself.

When she dared to open her eyes, she realized that very little had changed.

Everyone was frozen in shock.

But most important of all...

The goblin throwing star that Lord Cassius had thrown had stopped in midair, unable to reach its intended target.

Only then did Sophie realize that she was using her telekinesis.

With a jolt of terror, Sophie realized that Elysian had been seconds away from death.

Still hardly believing what had happened, Sophie released her hold on the throwing star.

It fell to the ground harmlessly.

Only then did Sophie manage to stare in horror at Lord Cassius.

His face was edged with steel. There was no remorse.

Sophie didn't realize that Elysian had moved until she stood up. She was holding the deadly weapon dropped on the grass.

Sophie had just witnessed an attempted assassination.

"You've gone too far," Sophie told him, somehow finding her voice. "How dare you do this to Elysian. She wanted to help Keefe- not hurt him!"

"Sophie," Elysian's voice was soft and quiet as if speaking from a distance. "It's fine. He's right."

"What?" Sophie cried in confusion. "What- do you mean?"

"I'm not mad," Elysian continued in the same tone. Each word seemed more confusing, more distant. It sounded horrible and wrong. "I failed Keefe."

What?

Elysian turned, and Sophie saw her face. She was crying, but somehow she still managed to speak. "I failed all of you."

"No, you didn't," Sophie argued, but there was little strength behind her protest.

Then her eyes met Lord Cassius's cold ones. And somehow, seeing the ice-blue irises sparked a flame.

No, a blazing inferno.

She knew that she had to stop Elysian from succumbing to grief before it was too late.

It was like losing Keefe all over again.

This time, she couldn't lose someone else- especially someone who had cared about and supported her so much.

"Elysian, please don't listen to him," Sophie begged. "He's in grief, and if you let his words get to you..."

She trembled, trying not to imagine the horrors. "Everything will fall apart."

Elysian swallowed. "I can't live with this- knowing that I allowed Lady Gisela to do this to Keefe."

"She forced you," Sophie reminded her. "You had no choice."

Elysian turned very pale, and she stumbled backward-

Suddenly, Sophie felt a strange tug that made her lurch forward-

...into?

"I'm so sorry," Merida cried, throwing herself down on the bench next to Justin. "Please don't be mad-"

"Hold on, what?" Justin exclaimed. "You just ran over here apologizing. And I don't even know what for. So... what's wrong?"

Merida wiped her tears, but more came. "My parents confronted me about the dance... and they brought up this other boy. Apparently, they want me to go to the dance... with him."