Chapter 28

Sharp metal throbbed in Sophie's heart as she heard Lady Gisela's words. 

Some tiny part of her wanted to hold onto strength. To fight. 

But she felt small. 

And cold. 

A wave of nausea hit Sophie as Lady Gisela said, "You can't all be surprised that I am doing this, right?"

As if on cue, Elysian, Flori, Keefe, and Dex staggered forward and gasped for breath as if waking from a trance. 

But they were moving. 

Dex was the first one to speak. His voice was so hoarse. "Sophie. I'm so, so sorry."

Tears spilled out of Sophie's eyes when she saw them in Dex's. 

Flori instantly rushed over to Biana and gently lifted her into a comfortable position, although she was smaller and lighter. 

"Is she okay?" Tam asked, worry and concern etched on his face. 

Flori examined Biana's body and frowned. "None of the pain is physical." 

"Then, that would mean it's all in her head," Sophie realized. Then, she realized what the revelation implied. A shiver ran down her spine. "You have an Inflictor, don't you?" 

Lady Gisela's eyes narrowed as she removed her hand from Keefe's shoulder. "I was sure you would determine the fate of your Vanisher friend. As I said, I have been hard at work recruiting."

Sophie stared into the shadows, wondering once again who they were concealing. 

"Is it Bronte?" Linh asked bravely, allowing coils of moisture to gather in the air. "Did he willingly join your cause?" 

"You made that assumption so easily." The sinister smile returned to Lady Gisela's face. 

"I don't think Bronte would do it willingly," Sophie said. "He was a severe pain initially but became one of our most valuable allies later. So. He's either doing it unwillingly, or you have someone else." 

She realized that her head was clear. 

The fuzziness and fog were gone. 

There wasn't a barrier. 

She tested her surroundings cautiously... 

And sensed her friends' minds around her. 

Her friends. Maruca, Marella, Linh, Tam, Rayni, Sandor, Ro, and the dwarves. Flori, Biana, Elysian, and Keefe. 

Keefe. 

He still wouldn't say anything. 

Sophie's heart ached at his beautiful eyes. 

They were melancholy. 

He looked tired.

As if this was something he needed to accept. 

As if this was something he wanted to accept. 

She sensed a low hum.

She sensed a source of powerful energy.

Her body tensed. 

Somewhere inside the house? 

Or somewhere else? 

The heartbeat returned. 

Sophie could feel it slinking around her heart.

Wanting to become her. 

Or wanting her to become it. 

No, Sophie thought forcefully, willing the madness to cease. She wasn't going to let it take over her. She needed to stay in control.