Chapter 38

Sophie didn't want to think about the possibility.

She cared about Biana and Flori too much.

She couldn't lose anyone else. Not after... Keefe.

Goodness had never been a guarantee of safety... she knew that better than anyone.

Panting, she burst into the room with Elysian at her side.

Elwin was inside, crouched over Biana's limp form. Flori was next to her. Her position was the same, but she looked better than Biana. As Elwin looked up to face them, his expression made Sophie crumple. "They're not responding to anything."

Sophie felt helpless. "What can we do?" she whispered hollowly.

"Wait!" Elwin interjected. "Are you concerned about yourself? I know you want to save your friends as much as I do, but... are you ready for this?"

Was she ready?

Sophie's eyes met Elysian's, and a grim understanding passed between their shared gaze.

"We don't have a choice," Sophie answered frankly. "It's too late for that."

She couldn't stop now. She couldn't rest.

If she did, and her friends lost their lives because of her, she would never forgive herself again. 

Elysian and Sophie positioned themselves on opposite sides of Biana's bed.

"If you're sure..." Elwin murmured. "Please be safe. But Sophie... don't you need Fitz for this?"

Sophie hesitated.

Suddenly, her mind was filled with images and memories of his rage and frustration- the horrible feeling he had made her feel. His explosive temper. The cause of their breakup- a failure to understand and communicate. His enraged expression at Tam. Jealousy.

Why was she thinking about all of those times?

Weren't they Cognates? Weren't they stronger together? What had happened?

Sophie shivered. "I- I'm not sure."

"We must hurry," Elysian said in a low voice. "Waiting for him will make us lose valuable time we cannot afford to waste, Sophie."

"Aren't you stronger together?" Elwin pressed, glancing at Elysian. "Or was your training together all for nothing?"

The door slammed and Fitz ran inside with Sandor at his heels.

"Sophie, wait," Fitz pleaded. "I'll help you."

Elwin blinked, relieved. "Quick. Your sister- she might be-"

"I know," Fitz interrupted. "Somehow... I had a feeling."

As he knelt next to Sophie, she whispered, "Thank you."

Why had she doubted him?

Fitz had come when she needed him.

He was her friend.

Even though he had hurt her, he had also supported her and protected her.

The quick smile he flashed at her gave her more confidence.

"I don't know exactly what we're dealing with," Elysian said urgently. "But I've felt something around their minds- something like a dark barrier. You must be careful. Guide each other and find the right path. I'll be your anchor and bring you back if necessary."

Sophie glanced at Fitz.

They nodded together.

She touched her mind to his, and he did the same, making them a stronger whole.