Chapter 36

Between "I don't know" and "A long time ago," "I don't know" was the more accurate of the two.

Sophie, Tam, and Sandor stood in a very narrow hallway, but somehow Sophie sensed that it was not one of reality.

She had once more stumbled into one of her unexplainable visions.

"Tam?" she questioned, gently shaking his hand. When she received no response, she turned to look at him.

His entire body was frozen and his eyes were motionless.

Sandor, who was holding her other hand, was also immobile and rigid.

She gasped, and she backed away to the wall. 

The wall felt tangible. 

The entire hallway was dark and bright at the same time. 

It wasn't somewhere she had been before. 

Was it real? 

Was time passing?

She had a moment of deja vu as she recalled how Biana and her friends had been exactly like this when she had tried to use the starstone to leap to Elysian. 

The moment when Lady Gisela had snuck into there and... 

No. 

Perhaps Tam was right, right about her visions having to do with the void. 

But she couldn't be sure. 

The concept was something entirely new. 

She stared at Tam again and blinked. 

It took her a moment to realize that her surroundings had changed.

Sophie was now in a brighter and more lively room. A room with elegant lights, plants, and polished shelves.

"Greetings, Lord Aenea and Lady Aenea," a man's voice spoke, bringing her attention to her left. "As well as you, Merida. It's a pleasure to be able to meet with you today. How are you?"

Sophie turned to see Merida and her parents standing by a large door. There were twelve people outside whom she presumed to be the Council of that time. 

They weren't that different from the Councillors in Sophie's time. She tried to scan for any familiar faces but failed. 

"I'm fine," Merida said in a voice that didn't sound very fine. "I understand... that you requested a meeting." 

She didn't sound very enthusiastic, either. 

"Ah, yes, it's an honor, Councillor Owen," declared Merida's father, who was adorned in very formal attire. The last word was heavily emphasized. "Please come in."

As the Councillors filed in, Sophie noticed Merida's expression.

It was guarded and wary. 

Her entire body was tense like that of a wild animal ready to flee.

"Merida," her mother said in a clipped voice. "Please don't slouch." 

A flash of hatred and loathing flashed across Merida's face, but it was gone as quickly as it came.

She swallowed, squared her shoulders, and lifted her chin.  

Merida seemed to be extremely familiar with this event as if she had been reminded of this for years. 

Behind the icy mask, Sophie could see the emotions churning inside Merida, threatening to erupt. 

"Please have a seat," Merida's father said as he gestured to the sofa he had purchased for the occasion.