Chapter 39

The boy had no control over his fate.

But what was fate, and should he try to control it?

Being a leaf in the hurricane; completely powerless in the coming events, many questions and thoughts arose.

What was death?

And should he embrace it?

The overwhelming tide of decisions, emotions, and thoughts swirled around him until he found himself in a room.

It was the exact same one he had seen just moments before... right?

His fractured memory wasn't of much use, but he vaguely recalled a sense of tranquility and peace, and before that, there had been someone with him.

Someone who felt important.

Who was it- who had been that one person with him right before the end?

That was the point of the room, wasn't it?

To allow him to decide.

He knew the decision was far greater than just one person, but his weary brain couldn't list all the reasons why he should go back.

Then a name appeared in the front of his mind, and it brought a dazzling clarity to his surroundings and his thoughts.

Sophie.

That was the girl who had been there in the room with him.

That was all he remembered.

Nothing before that came back to him.

Now he understood the sides.

He could either return and recover his lost memories, or vanish from existence completely and be free from the troubles of living.

The decision came in a heartbeat, and he stepped toward the light.

No matter how much pain or suffering he had to endure, he would return to find Sophie again.

Meanwhile, several things happened in the universe.

Somewhere down below him, black tendrils hissed with rage.

Elsewhere, in an infinitely distant time and place, a voice asked...

Is he making the right decision?